Free School Meals
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 can receive school meals at no cost to you. This is a universal entitlement for all infant aged children. In addition, every child whose parent is receiving one of the welfare benefits listed will be eligible for Pupil Premium funding. This is extra money for the school, provided by government, to pay for targeted support for learning.
Entitlement to Free School Meals for children in school in Year 3 and above is not universal. You will need to make a separate application and your eligibility will be dependent on the benefits that you receive.
Who is eligible?
You must be in receipt of one of the below benefits to be eligible for a Free School Meal for your child/children.
- Income Support
- Employment & Support Allowance – Income related
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (NOT Contribution Based JSA)
- Child Tax Credit only (with a combined family income of less than £16,190 per annum as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) Please note, anyone receiving Working Tax Credit, regardless of income, will NOT qualify for FSMs.
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)
- Guaranteed Element of Pension Tax Credit
How do I apply?
You can register and find out if your child is eligible by visiting the Citizens Portal.
The system is quick and simple to use and can be accessed via a smartphone or hand held device. If you qualify, please show the Application Summary to your school on your smartphone or print a copy for your school.
Please register with the portal, even if you have applied and been unsuccessful in the past. By doing so we will have your contact details and can inform you straight away if your eligibilty changes.