Who can claim Council Tax Reduction

Anyone can make a claim for Council Tax Reduction by completing an application form, but if your income or savings are too high you may not qualify for help.

The  Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Calculator will give you an idea of whether or not you will qualify.

For more about savings thresholds and eligibility criteria, see Council Tax Reduction Scheme in detail

The following people cannot normally get Council Tax Reduction:

  • People who are not liable to pay Council Tax in their own right
  • People who are exempt from paying Council Tax
  • People who don't live in the property they are liable to pay Council Tax


If you are a full-time student you will not usually have to pay Council Tax. If your partner is a student you may be able to get Council Tax Reduction.

Last Updated: 5 May 2022