Council Tax Bands
Understanding your band
There are eight bands in total labelled A through to H. Each property liable for Council Tax in Milton Keynes has been allocated a band. The band is assigned based on the estimated value of the property at 1st April 1991.
A Up to £40,000
B £40,001 to £52,000
C £52,001 to £68,000
D £68,001 to £88,000
E £88,001 to £120,000
F £120,001 to £160,000
G £160,001 to £320,000
H £320,001 and over
Any improvements or alterations made to the property that may affect its value or band category will not be taken into consideration until the property is sold.
Remember, these are valuations as at 1st April 1991, they do not relate to the value of your home today.
Challenges against Council Tax bands
If you feel that your property is in the wrong band you may challenge it. If you make a challenge you must continue to pay your bill. You should not withhold any part of your Council Tax whilst your challenge is considered. If your challenge is successful, your bill will be adjusted and you will be refunded.
You can challenge within six months of:
- The Listing Officer changing the tax band your house is in
- The Court changing the tax band of a similar property to yours
- Becoming the new tax payer at an address
- The addition of a special interior feature for a disabled person which has not been taken into account and which reduces the value of the property
- If your house has been demolished and rebuilt
- If your house has been made into flats
- There have been physical changes to your area affecting the value.
In order to make a challenge against your banding you will need to contact:
The Valuation Office Agency
Council Tax Enquiries
Or telephone: 03000 501501
For more information about the Valuation Office see the VOA website
If you make a challenge you must continue to pay your bill. You should not withhold any part of your Council Tax whilst your challenge is considered. If your challenge is successful, your bill will be adjusted and you will be refunded.