Appeals against Council Tax decisions

You may appeal against your Council Tax if you believe

  • you are not the person liable for the Council Tax
  • the property should be exempt from Council Tax
  • Milton Keynes Council has calculated your Council Tax incorrectly

Appeals should be submitted in writing to the Council Tax department within 2 months of the initial decision. Your appeal will be considered and if you do not agree with the outcome you may then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within a further 2 months. Details of how to make your appeal can be found on the Valuation Tribunal website at 

Appeals against the banding of your property should be made to the Valuation Office Agency on their website at or by telephone on 03000 501501

For information about appealing benefit decisions see these links -  Council Tax Reduction appeals and Housing Benefit appeals

Please note that you must continue to pay your Council Tax charge pending the result of any appeal.


Last Updated: 30 November 2017