Discretionary Council Tax Reduction
A Discretionary Council Tax Reduction helps Council Tax payers who have exceptional circumstances and need additional financial assistance on top of any provided by the main Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
You must make an application to the main Council Tax Reduction scheme before applying for a Discretionary Council Tax Reduction. Please wait until we have made a decision on your main Council Tax Reduction application before applying for any extra help through a discretionary award. If you apply too early your application will automatically be rejected.
This scheme has two objectives:
- Enable the Council to consider a reduction in the Council Tax for a dwelling to applicants who meet the qualifying criteria as specified in the policy.
- Meet the needs of vulnerable people and make a contribution to the alleviation of child poverty by:
- Easing severe financial pressure on families and individuals who circumstances are such that they incur essential additional day to day living costs, which they are unable to meet from their income.
- Helping local people through personal crises and difficult events.
- Ensuring that pensioners receiving a war pension are not adversely affected financially by the abolition of Council Tax Benefit.
- Supporting young people leaving care in the transition to adult life.
- Encouraging and sustaining people in employment.
Last Updated: 7 May 2020