Online Council Tax Portal
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Why do I need to re-register for the portal?
- It is saying the details inputted do not match?
- What is the online reference key?
- It says that I have not correctly completed a sufficient amount of security questions?
- I have completed the registration but I cannot access my account
- There is more than one person who is liable for Council Tax in the property, why does their name not show?
- I’ve lost my paper bill, and require a copy?
- What are online bills?
- How up to date is the information provided online?
- Where can I see the payments I have made and the payments I need to make?
- How do I use the payment system?
- I have a Council Tax account and a Business Rates account, how do I log in to see my accounts?
- I did not receive an activation email
- I have forgotten my Username or Password
- It states that a system error has occurred, please try again later
- If I am moving home can I just update my contact address?
- My details in the benefit summary have changed.
- If I need more information or I’m having problems accessing my account, what should I do?
The old Council Tax feature on the MyCouncil portal has been deactivated and replaced with this new enhanced system. Unfortunately, there is no single sign on functionality between the two systems.
Please make sure the name and account number are exactly as presented on your most recent bill or recovery notice, including any spaces between names. The system is case sensitive due to the information available.
If the name is spelt incorrectly on the bill, still use this for the registration process as it can be amended on the new portal.
On your most recent bill or recovery notice you will notice there is a series of numbers and letters next to the word key, this is your online reference key for portal registration.
It could look something similar to this: Key: H8T4CP7DZ
This could be due to a number of reasons.
The online reference key is a mandatory requirement needed for registration. This will be located on your most recent bill or recovery notice.
You will also need to complete one of the following:
Current postcode of the property
Last three digits of a telephone number you have (This is any mobile, work, or home telephone number you have provided the Revenues department)
Last three digits of your bank account number (This will be the bank account details supplied if you pay your bill by Direct Debit)
Have you validated the account, an email has been sent to you with instructions on how to validate your application. Check your junk or spam email folder
The online Council Tax portal is for individual use only. DO NOT change another person’s name on the account to yours. If there is more than one person liable for Council Tax in your property they will need to create their own account if they wish to update their details. Their personal details will not be shown on your online account.
Details on how to register for the Portals are available in the user guides below.
Online bills are electronic versions of the paper bill you receive in the post.
The online bills look slightly different to the paper bills but they contain the same amount of information and can still be used for identification purposes.
Your online account provides 'real time' information however, please be aware that any manual payments you make can take up to 5 working days to show on the portal. In addition to this, some changes need to be assessed by a Revenues officer and may not appear straight away.
You can view future instalments and payments made within the Account activity page found on the portal.
Insert your account number into the correct field and the balance you wish to pay. Then click 'Add to basket' and checkout. Then follow the on screen instructions to successfully pay.
You will need to register and log into the two separate systems. They do not link at any point.
Sometimes the email can take a few minutes to arrive in your inbox. The email could have also gone into your junk folder.
There are links available to reset these on the log in page of the portal. If you have forgotten your username the system will ask you to insert your email address linked with the portal account. The associated username will be sent to your email. If you have forgotten your password the system will ask to insert your username. The associated email with the portal account will receive a forgotten password reset link.
This could be due to active website user traffic. Please exit the page and return after around 15 minutes.
If you are moving home please fill in the Online Revenues Service Moving Form, do not just update the contact address on the portal
You must contact the benefits department as soon as your circumstances change by completing the Benefits change in circumstances form.
If you are having problems accessing your online account, please review the information detailed above or use one of our registration guides. If you still need assistance please contact the relevant department.
Last Updated: 16 May 2022