Is there any other help available with my rent?

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may be able to get extra help if you think you may have difficulty managing financially particularly if you are either:

Foster Carers

When calculating how many bedrooms a family require, a room for a foster child or children will be taken into account.

Adapted Accommodation

If you live in accommodation that has been significantly adapted for you or someone in your household due to a disability, you may be entitled to a DHP to make up any shortfall in your rent from having a reduction for your spare room.

When deciding if a DHP can be paid we will also look at your income and outgoings to see if you can meet any of the shortfall from your current income.

Help with the cost of moving

If your move is essential, for example because you are affected by the new rules and are moving to a smaller home a Discretionary Housing Payment may be able to help with:

More information on DHPs

If you need more information or wish to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP), you should contact the Housing Benefit Service’s DHP Team. 

Help and advice

Job clubs

Milton Keynes Council and Milton Keynes College are working together with Job Centre Plus and a range of voluntary and community organisations to provide locally based job clubs to help young people and adults back into work.

The job clubs are based in community centres, libraries and Parish offices in the heart of priority estates so that as many people as possible can get help

You can get free, independent advice about rent difficulties from several organisations.

National Debtline is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt. You can get information online or by calling the free helpline. 0808 808 4000

The Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone. Most CABs also offer home visits, and some give email advice. 08444 111 444

TextRelay users should call 08444 111 445

Shelter offers face-to-face, phone, email and online advice about any housing problems (not just homelessness).

0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).

Last Updated: 6 July 2020