Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit to support you if you’re working and on low income or you’re out of work.  It is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces the following benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child and Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Most working age Milton Keynes residents, not in work or on a low income, cannot make a new application for any of the old benefits listed above. Instead they will need to apply for Universal Credit, online at gov.uk 

Until 26 January 2021 there were special rules for people who have a severe disability premium included in their Housing Benefit, Employment & Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Income Support.  From 16 January 2019 to 26 January 2021 people receiving a Severe Disability Premium could not claim Universal Credit but could make a new claim for any of the old benefits listed above. From 27 January 2021 they can make a new claim for Universal Credit if their circumstances change but will not be able to make a new claim for any of the old benefits.

People living in a hostel, supported accommodation, a refuge or temporary emergency homeless accommodation will need to claim Housing Benefit as well as Universal Credit. 

If you are already on benefits, you don’t need to do anything. You will be told when Universal Credit will affect you. However if your situation changes and this results in your benefits changing you may need to claim Universal Credit. 

Please note Council Tax Reduction is not covered by Universal Credit. If you would like to apply for help with your Council Tax bill, you must apply for this separately via our Online Council Tax Reduction Form