What is Local Welfare Provision (LWP)?
Milton Keynes Council administers Local Welfare Provision (LWP) which aims to:
- Prevent serious risk to health, wellbeing or safety
- Provide essential support in the event of an emergency
- Help people to be part of the community
An award will normally be a one off payment, normally in goods or services, as a short term fix to prevent a long term problem.
The total value of Local Welfare Provision grants made by the council is limited to the funding that has been made available to it by the Government.
We will consider whether an application meets the criteria for Local Welfare Provision and if there are still funds available.
You can apply if you meet all of the following criteria:
- At least 16 years old
- A settled Milton Keynes resident, or have been placed out of the area by Milton Keynes Council, or moving to Milton Keynes after leaving care or prison for example
- A British citizen. If you are not a British citizen, you must be in receipt of benefits, or your immigration status allows you to access public funds
- Unable to obtain other public funds for the application
- Without support, which could be a serious risk to you or your family’s health or safety
If you are a full time student, you will only be able to make an application if you are in receipt of benefits.
An application for an award of Discretionary Financial Assistance (DOCX, 107KB) can only be made once in 6 months. If an award has previously been declined and a new application is presented for the same need, a new award will not be considered.
Last Updated: 30 November 2017