Changing your name after marriage or civil partnership

There is no legal requirement to change your name after marriage or forming a civil partnership.

Women are not legally required to change their name when they marry.  They may continue to use their surname, take the name of their husband or, as a growing number of women are doing, use both names, for example, their maiden name in business and their married name in personal life.  Some women choose to use their maiden name and husband’s name hyphenated.

And, of course, there is nothing in law which prevents a man from taking his wife’s surname when he marries!

Simply contact all the organisations and people who need to know about the change of name, such as your bank, employer, doctor, council tax and electoral services.  They will advise you if they need to see your original marriage certificate or anything else.

Last Updated: 23 October 2019