Introducing Economic Development in Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes is a dynamic and growing place with a scale and pace of growth, powered by investment in housing and employment, unique in the UK. This growth is assisted by a specialist team, Invest Milton Keynes. The role of the team is to attract inward investment to the area, offering a range of support to businesses looking to relocate to Milton Keynes and providing ongoing assistance to those companies already based within the city.
Statistics and accolades all point to the strength of Milton Keynes as a regional economic powerhouse. Forecasts and plans for future development further suggest that this role will continue and grow:
- Between 2010 and 2016, Milton Keynes experienced the highest percentage growth in employment of any UK city. Employment increased by 29% with over 41,000 new jobs created.
- In 2018, there were 182,000 jobs in Milton Keynes.
- One of the UK’s top five cities for business start-ups per 10,000 population
- The Milton Keynes economy (GDP) was worth £13.47 billion in 2017 and £14.33 billion in 2018 (provisional). The value of goods and services produced within the borough in 2018 was an impressive £84,784 per worker, the fourth highest of UK cities.
- Milton Keynes is consistently within the top 12 for new patents per 100,000 population
- The Irwin Mitchell UK Powerhouse reports consistently rank Milton Keynes as one of the top UK cities for both existing and forecast growth in employment and Gross Value Added (GVA)
- Milton Keynes regularly features as one of the UK’s top ten cities to work
- Ranked 8th in the UK in the UK Tech Innovation index 2017
- Identified as one of the UK’s five Fast Growth Cities
- At the centre of the Cambridge-Milton Keynes-Oxford Corridor
Last Updated: 17 June 2020