What are the skills needed?
Personal qualities are more important for example than formal qualifications or what age you are.
You will need to have the ability to:
- Provide a high standard of care to other people’s children by promoting their personal, social, health and educational development;
- Work closely with the child’s or young person’s family or significant others, who are important to the child or young person, this includes being fully mobile (i.e. access to a vehicle);
- Set appropriate boundaries and manage the child’s behaviour without resorting to physical or inappropriate punishment;
- Have a knowledge or a willingness to learn about child development;
- Listen and communicate with children and young people in a manner appropriate to their age and understanding and advise them on how to get help when they need it;
- Help a child or young person keep in contact with their family and friends as appropriate
- Work as part of a team with social workers and other professionals
Last Updated: 31 May 2019