Your Personal Adviser and support available to you

What is a Personal Adviser?

A personal adviser (PA) is someone who is here to help you make the most from moving from living in care, to enjoying independent life as an adult. PAs are part of the Corporate Parenting Team at Milton Keynes Council. PAs can help you access housing, education, employment and training and health services – and they are here to support you to make the most of leaving care.

The relationship between you and your PA is important. The better the relationship, the more beneficial having a PA will be to you. You can feel free to discuss the future, as they will be skilled and experienced in helping you. To make the most of your PA it is important to keep in touch, and they will be happy to agree with you what suits you – the best way to keep in touch, and how much contact you’d like.

What does a Personal Adviser do?

PAs are experienced at working with and helping young people. Your Personal Adviser will do the following:

From age 17 and a half

  • attend your Child Care Review and give advice about what support you will have
  • work with your social worker and independent reviewing officer (IRO) to get to know you
  • help prepare your Pathway Plan so that you can get good idea of what you want to do in your life and how to achieve it

From age 18,

  • start supporting you
  • review your Pathway Plan with you and help make sure it is carried out
  • keep in touch, visit you on a regular basis, and make sure you get access to all the services and support described in this booklet

These services are designed to help you and you are entitled to make use of them to plan for your future. Under the law you are entitled to them until you are 25 years old.

Our aim is to provide a friendly and supportive service that means you are not on your own. The level of help and support you get will depend on your level of need. Some of the things we can help you with:

  • Finding somewhere suitable to live and managing your independence as well as to be safe.
  • Getting you into education, employment or training
  • Getting the financial support you need and get you advice about managing your money
  • Advice to keep you healthy and get access to good health advice
  • Advice to point you in the right direction if you run into problems

With your Person Adviser and through your Pathway Plan, we will provide you with a good service that meets your needs.

Contacting your personal adviser 

Your Personal Advisor (PA) will be on hand to assist you in all aspects of life and will support you in making the right choices to get where you want and need to be. To find out more about  your PA visit the PA page. If you want to speak to your PA and can't get through you can call the Duty line on 01908 253740. 

If you need to speak to someone urgently but it's outside of office hours (usually 9am - 5pm) you can call the Out of hours emergency number: 01908 265545

Back to the top 


Further information about who to contact is included below: 

Complaints and compliments

I want to change my PA

Accessing your records


Share your views online - MOMO

Complaints and compliments

It doesn’t matter how old you are, you can tell us if you are unhappy about something and we will try and help you fix it, or you can tell us if we have done a good job. You can ask your family, personal adviser, carers or friends to help you. You can also talk to us by phone on 01908 253817. 

There are also national organisations who can give you support as well:

Children’s Commissioner for England 

The Children’s Commissioner promotes and protects children’s rights and has a phone number and a ‘help at hand’ website. If you’re in care, leaving care, living away from home or working with children’s services help at hand can offer you free support, advice and information.  You can call on 0800 528 0731. 


Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. They inspect and regulate services that care for children and young people, and services providing education and skills for learners of all ages. They can be contacted on: 0300 123 3155


They are a charity for children in care and young care leavers. They can offer help and advice online or by calling 020 7251 3117. 

Back to the top 

I want to change my PA

First we'd like you to talk to your PA about an issue. If you've tried or feel that you can do that you can raise it with the PAs supervisor or an advocate, if the issue can’t be resolved then they would look at changing your PA. 

Back to the top 

Accessing your records 

You are able to access your records by sending us a subject access request. Your PA can help you to complete this form. 

Back to the top 


An advocate is someone independent. Their job is to help make sure your views are heard. They can represent you at meetings or raise any concerns you have.

If you would like to speak to someone from the advocacy service, you can call 01908 241020

Back to the top 

Mind Of My Own (sometimes referred to as MOMO)

MOMO stands for ‘Mind of My Own’ and is an app that will help you to communicate with your social worker, IRO or other professionals. The MOMO app is designed for you to use on your own, or with a worker or foster carer. You can use it when you need to get something off your chest, to get a problem sorted, or to make a complaint.

Back to the top 


Last Updated: 8 September 2020