Three and four year old childcare education (universal 15 hours)
Q. I have a three year old son can I get money to help with his nursery funding?
A. All families with three and four year old children are eligible for 15 hours free childcare education. To apply, contact your local childcare provider or you can use our “childcare search” facility on MKC website.
Q. Can I get any extra help with childcare costs?
A. You could be eligible for tax credits, tax free childcare or universal credits (please see detail below)
- For all families in England, with three and four year old children
- 15 hours of free childcare (570 hours per year) for 38 weeks per year. Some providers may ‘stretch’ the hours over 52 weeks, thereby using fewer hours per week
- To apply, contact your local childcare provider. You can use our “childcare search” facility on MKC website
- Call 01908 253338
Funding is available from the term after your child’s third birthday, see table below:
1 January – 31 March start summer term on or after 1 April
1 April – 31 August start autumn term on or after 1 September
1 September – 31 December start spring term on or after the 1 January
HM government offer additional help with childcare costs for parents
- For working families (with children under 12 or under 17 if disabled), including the self-employed, in the UK
- For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child per year
- For working families, in the UK (with children under 16 or under 17 if disabled)
- 70% of childcare costs, up to a cap
- If you are unable to make a new claim for Tax Credits, you may be eligible to apply for Universal Credit instead
- For working families (with children under 17) claiming Universal Credit, in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales
- 85% of eligible childcare costs, up to a cap
Last Updated: 23 September 2020