Virtual School - a message from the Virtual School Head
Milton Keynes Virtual School works with children from 2-18 who are in the care of Milton Keynes. Many of these children will have experienced distress, loss and trauma which may have an effect on their development and education.
The Virtual School also offers support and advice to parents, schools and social workers working with children who are previously looked after and those who have a social worker.
The school is 'virtual' because children and young people do not actually attend. They remain the responsibility of the school at which they are enrolled.
Specifically we are here to:
- Promote the educational achievement of children and young people who are looked after, previously looked after children and those who have social care involvement.
- Raise attainment for the children and young people that are looked after by Milton Keynes.
- Advise and guide the professionals working with looked after children, previously looked after children and those children with a social worker.
- Support schools to develop programmes and systems which will ensure the gap is narrowed between the looked after children and all children.
- Train professionals working with children that come under the remit of the Virtual School.
- Champion the educational needs of all children with partner agencies who are involved with those children who are looked after, previously looked after or have social care involvement.
The Virtual School has a leaflet describing its offer to all partners and specific advice for carers, please see the essential guidance and documents page.
Each year the Virtual School Head produces a report which explains the work of the Virtual School and the impact it is having on the outcomes of the children and young people involved.
The Virtual School Team
The Virtual School has a dedicated team of professionals who work closely with everyone involved with the education of children who are looked after, previously looked after and those who have social care involvement. To contact the Virtual School please ring the Virtual School Duty Line on 07881 875 294 between 8.30am and 3pm.
Virtual School Team members
- Jenny Cooledge – Interim Virtual School Head
- Louise Cooper – PEP Quality and Compliance Officer
- Beverly Carlin - PEP Quality and Compliance Officer
- Jenny Appleby – Post-16 Improvement Officer
- Andy Ferguson – Virtual School Specialist Support Officer
Last Updated: 22 October 2021