Rogue trading activity includes:
- Charging an exorbitant price for house repairs or garden maintenance
- Stating that work needs doing when it does not
- Insisting on full cash payment before the job is finished (or even started)
- Leaving the work incomplete and refusing to finish the job or undertake repairs
- Giving no contact land line phone number and then becoming un-contactable
- Stealing property whilst allegedly undertaking work
You are advised to be very wary of giving work to anyone ‘cold calling’ at the door or from a ‘flyer’ posted through the letter box or left on your vehicle.
If in any doubt about a trader or workmen calling at the door, contact should be made with the Council Trading Standards Department consumer advice line on 03454 040506 (NOTE Call Charges Apply Click here to find out more). Or you can contact the Police on 101 who are on the lookout for this type of activity which can amount to a serious criminal offence.
If your require work to be undertaken and do not know a reputable trader, information can be obtained from the Milton Keynes Council Trading Standards Department through their ‘Buy with Confidence scheme.'
Last Updated: 12 November 2018