Council tax - useful information

Registering for Council Tax/moving address

How do I Register for Council Tax?

You can now manage your Council Tax account online by registering for an Online Revenues Account. You can view a full breakdown of your account, check instalments, amend contact details, set up a Direct Debit or pay by card.

I have moved how do I report the change?

If you are due to move home within the next 4 weeks you can tell us by using our New Online Revenues Service Moving Form.

I have had a tenant move in or out of a property, how do I tell you about this?

You can email us at to report this change.

We will need the following details to process the change:

  • The date the tenancy ended or started
  • Tenant’s name
  • Is the property let furnished or unfurnished?
  • The tenants forwarding address

I have moved into a new build property how do I register for council tax?

If you have just moved into a 'newly built' property, please email

We will require the following details to open an account:

  • Purchase completion date
  • The date you moved in
  • Full names of all owners
  • Property description:
    • Value
    • Number of bedrooms
    • If the property is detached, semi-detached, terraced, or a flat.


Questions regarding bills

I have just received my annual bill, where can I get more information on my bill?

Please visit our Council tax information and bands webpage

How do I get my account number?

You can find your 11 digit account number on the front of your bill, it will start with 11_________.

Why have I received a bill?

If you have received a bill for Council Tax, the reason will be stated on your bill, e.g. opening or closing an account, a change to your instalments, pay method or a change in your benefits award (Council Tax Reduction) or a discount or exemption may have been awarded or ended.

Can I Have a copy bill?

You can view a full breakdown of your account online by registering for an Online Revenues Account. You can view a full breakdown of your account, check instalments, amend contact details, set up a Direct Debit or pay by card. If you need a paper copy please email Please note, we are unable to produce copy bills for previous financial years.

I think my Council Tax band is too high

Each dwelling subject to Council Tax is in one of eight bands according to their open market capital value at 1 April 1991. The Valuation Band is set by the Valuation Office Agency. If you have an enquiry about the Council Tax Band given to your property, you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency at

Why do I have to pay more Council Tax than my neighbour/friend?

Due to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) we cannot discuss someone else’s bill with you. However, there are a number of reasons why you may pay different amounts, including:

  • your property may be in a higher band  - You can check this at
  • they may be receiving a discount or be subject to an exemption
  • they may be getting Council Tax Reduction
  • they may have moved in part way through the financial year so they are not paying for a full year.

How do I register for paperless billing?

You can now switch to Paperless billing through our Revenues Customer Portal.

Payments and instalments

Do I get 2 free months of Council Tax?

Council Tax is usually paid in 10 instalments from April to January. New rules introduced by the Government allow customers to pay in 12 instalments if they wish. If you would like to take up this option please contact us by emailing or call us 01908 253794

How do I set up/change a Direct Debit

You can now manage your Council Tax account online by registering for an Online Revenues Account. You can view a full breakdown of your account, check instalments, amend contact details, set up a Direct Debit or pay by card.

Do I have to pay Council Tax monthly?

No you can pay weekly and fortnightly. To change your payment method email or call us 01908 253794

What payment options are there?

There are many ways to pay, for example Direct Debit, by phone, online, at a pay point or pay zone, post office or banks. For more information see our Pay Council Tax web page

Council Tax discounts/exemptions

How do I apply for Single Person Discount (SPD)?

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in your home. If only one adult, aged 18 or over, lives in a dwelling as their sole or main residence, the Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25 per cent. This is called a single person discount.

Temporary absences (i.e. a holiday or working away) would not qualify for this reduction.

You can apply for SPD bill filling out the online Single Person Discount Application Form.

I am carrying out work on my property, can I have a discount?

A discount may apply if your property is empty, unfurnished and you are carrying out major works, such as movement of walls or other structural work. Decorative works such as replacement windows, kitchen or bathroom would not qualify for this discount.

If you believe you may qualify for the discount, please email with the following:

  1. A full description of the works being carried out
  2. Evidence of the work being carried out through invoices and insurance documents
  3. Photos
  4. The date the works started and expected completion date


I am a student; do I have to pay Council Tax?

If you are a full-time student, you may be disregarded for the purposes of calculating the number of adult residents at a property. Where there is only one adult resident, or the number is reduced to one or zero after deducting the disregarded person a discount or exemption may apply. Please use the online Student Exemption Application Form should you wish to apply.

What other discounts are available for Council Tax?

For a full list of all Council Tax discounts and how to apply visit our Discounts webpage. If you think you may be exempt from Council Tax, you can check the Exemptions webpage for further details.


My account is in credit, how do I get a refund?

To obtain a refund please complete our Council Tax Refund Request Form.

I have moved to another property in Milton Keynes can I have a refund for the credit on my old address?

If you have moved within Milton Keynes then the Councils policy is to transfer credit to your new Council Tax Account for your new address.

Is there any reasons why you would not refund a credit on my account?

Yes, these include:

  • You have an outstanding liability to pay council tax within Milton Keynes
  • You have a previous council tax account with arrears or an outstanding balance
  • You have an outstanding overpayment with our Benefits department
  • There is an outstanding balance or arrears on your rent account with Milton Keynes council

Empty properties

My property is empty, why do I have to pay council tax? Am I entitled to a discount?

As of the 1st April 2021 a 14 day discount may apply if a property is empty and unfurnished; this discount applies to the property not the person. It will apply as soon as the property is empty and substantially unfurnished regardless of who is liable.

Why am I being charged more for my empty property?

Properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for more than 2 years are charged a premium of 100% and for more than 5 years a premium of 200%, on top of the full Council Tax charge. From 1 April 2021, if a property is empty and substantially unfurnished for more than 10 years, the premium is 300%.

Summons and recovery

Why have I received a Summons?

If you missed or were late paying a Council Tax instalment you will have been sent a reminder notice giving you seven days to bring your Council Tax payments up to date. If you did not pay within this time, or if after a second reminder/final notice you have fallen behind with your payments again, you will now have to pay the full outstanding balance of your Council Tax bill. The Council is asking the court to issue a liability order so that it can recover the outstanding Council Tax from you.

I have received a summons; do I have to go to court?

If you have received a Summons and you are unable to pay in full please contact the Council Tax Department on 01908 253794 as soon as possible. There is no need for you to attend Court unless you dispute that the liability. In these circumstances we recommend that you still contact the Council Tax Department in the first instance to discuss your account further.

Council Tax reduction

I am on benefits; do I still have to pay council tax?

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme is available for those who are on a low income. Working age applicants on a low income can get help with up to 80% of the cost of their Council Tax bill, which means they will have to pay at least 20% of their Council Tax.

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

Please see our webpage for information regarding how to apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Council Tax contact information

Revenues Service, PO Box 5327, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ