Help with Energy Costs

Information on how you may get help with bills and other costs

For information about the help that is available from the Government to meet increasing energy costs, please visit their website.

Council Tax Rebate (Bands A to D)

This scheme closed on 30 September 2022.

If we thought you were eligible but did not apply for your rebate, we have paid the £150 rebate to your council tax account.

You can check your Council Tax account online to see if the £150.00 has been credited to your Council Tax account.

If you have received the £150 rebate and you are not eligible or if you wish to opt out of the scheme please email

All rebates are subject to post payment verification and the rebate will either be removed from your council tax account or you will be asked to repay the rebate if fraud or error is detected.

To be eligible for the rebate :

  • You must have been named on the Council Tax bill
  • You must have been living in the property as your main home on 1 April 2022
  • The property must be in Council Band A to D (This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme).

If you receive the following discounts or exemptions you can still receive the £150 payment:

  • Council Tax Reduction
  • a student exemption so long as you are named on the Council Tax bill
  • an exemption because everyone living at your property is under 18
  • a severe mental impairment exemption
  • An annex that’s occupied by 
  • a dependant relative aged 65 or over, or 
  • someone with a severe mental impairment, or
  • someone who is substantially or permanently disabled

A rebate was not paid where:

  • A property has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home.
  • A property is unoccupied (for the purposes of calculating council tax).
  • The person liable to pay the Council Tax does not occupy the property.


Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme (Band E-H)

We are still accepting applications for a discretionary rebate from the following groups:

  • Households in bands E to H in receipt of CTR on 1 April 2022
  • Households in bands F to H in receipt of disabled band reduction on 1 April 2022
  • Households in bands E to H in receipt of Carers disregard on 1 April 2022
  • Households in bands E to H in receipt of an exemption because all occupiers are severely mentally impaired on 1 April 2022

If you are in one the above categories, you can apply online now. If you have any problems submitting your application please email  


Milton Keynes Council will be providing a hardship fund which households who do not fall into the main scheme or in the above groups can apply for. Updates on this scheme will be posted here. 

Council Tax contact information

Revenues Service, PO Box 5327, Civic, 1 Saxon Gate East, Central Milton Keynes MK9 3EJ

Energy bills rebate

Energy bills rebate contact information