About Buy With Confidence
What is it?
The Buy With Confidence scheme is a trader approval scheme operated by Milton Keynes Council's Trading Standards. It is open to any business within the area covered by Milton Keynes Council.
Members have to agree to abide by a code of conduct
The aim of the scheme is to increase consumer confidence by recognising and promoting businesses committed to trading lawfully, safely and fairly. The Code sets out the general principles of Buy With Confidence, it forms part of the membership requirements and all companies have to agree to abide by it.
Businesses undertake to:
- carry out only those activities for which they are qualified, experienced and have appropriate equipment
- comply with the legislation applicable to their business and activity undertake
- trade fairly, openly and honestly recognising the rights of consumers
The full Terms and Conditions of membership together with Guidance notes explaining what businesses need to do to meet the terms and conditions are available on request.
Information for consumers
All businesses listed on the Buy With Confidence website have been audited by officers from the council where the business is based.
Members of the Buy With Confidence scheme who regularly carry out work in their customers homes will also have to obtain a Basic Criminal Records Disclosure Certificate before they are allowed into the scheme.
As a consumer:
- You can provide feedback on our traders.
- You can have confidence that you are dealing with a legitimate trader.
- You have the ability to identify local traders who have been approved by an independent body.
- You can have confidence that any complaints will be dealt with in a timely manner.
- Support is available from Trading Standards should something go wrong.
If you decide to use a business from the scheme you will be entering into a contract with them and not with the council.
We will make reasonable efforts, including monitoring customer comments and carrying out audits and reviews, to check that businesses comply with the terms of the scheme and treat customers safely and fairly but occasionally things may go wrong. In this instance we will work with both parties to reach the correct outcome based on the consumers statutory rights.
Things we can't do:
- Guarantee the financial status of any business.
- Accept any liability for any goods or services provided by any business.
- Guarantee the quality or condition of any goods or services provided by any business.
- Guarantee that the price of goods and services supplied is competitive relative to any other business.
Information for Traders
- Any feedback provided about our traders can be posted on our website
- Your customers can have confidence that they are dealing with a legitimate trader.
- Your customers will have the ability to identify local traders who have been approved by an independent body.
- Support from Trading Standards should something go wrong. Members are expected to be able to deal with their consumers in the first instance but we can provide advice if you are not sure of your legal obligations.
- Independent recognition of your business standards.
- Beneficial publicity.
- A place on our 'Buy With Confidence' web-page, including a link to your website.
- Use of the Buy With Confidence logo.
- Pre-entry vetting to ensure the credibility of the scheme and that high standards are maintained.
- The company's name on a list of recommended businesses which the Council will publish for consumers.
- Promotion of the list and website to other local agencies.
- Increased consumer confidence.
- A better relationship with regulators based on assistance and advice, rather than enforcement.
- A named contact for your business within the Trading Standards Service.
- Assistance with interpretation of legilsation as it applies to your business.
Further information for traders on joining Buy With Confidence.
Limitations of the scheme
All information provided is to assist consumers in exercising their own best judgment. We cannot guarantee the financial stability or health and safety procedures of the company. All information is provided in good faith but no guarantee will be given or implied as to the accuracy of the information provided.
Last Updated: 26 March 2018