What to do in specific emergencies?
High winds, storms and severe gales
- Secure loose objects such as ladders and garden furniture that could be blown into windows or cause other damage.
- Close and secure doors and windows of your home, garage and outbuildings.
- If possible, park vehicles in a garage. Otherwise park them clear of trees, walls or fences.
- If chimney stacks are in poor condition consider moving beds from areas directly beneath them.
- Keep a portable, battery powered radio handy
- The lower levels of your home are safer than the upper levels because of damage that may be caused to the roof or chimneys.
- Consider your pets and animals and their welfare.
- Check whether schools are or will be closed because of the weather situation.
- Check that elderly friends, relatives and neighbours are aware of the weather problem.
- Be prepared for losing electricity during the storm - it could be some time before power is restored.
- Check and clear gutters and down spouts of leaves and debris to prevent overflow and flooding.
Recovering after high winds
- Inspect your property soon after the storm for damage and effect repairs or consult your insurer.
- Check with friends, relatives and neighbours that they are safe and well.
- If you have lost electrical power, check if neighbours have also been cut off. If they have, contact Central Networks on 0800 056 8090 as they may not be aware that you have lost supply.
Additional advice can be found on the Met Office severe weather warning web-pages.