Licensing Alcohol and Entertainment

Calls to the 01908 252800 contact number may go straight through to an answer machine. Please leave a message and we will respond as promptly as we can.

The Licensing Act regulates the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of hot refreshment late at night. Any person or business/ organisation wishing to supply or provide these activities may have to apply for an authorisation: a premises licence, a club premises certificate or a temporary event notice.

Recent change to the legislation allows a number of exemptions in respect of the provision of regulated entertainment. If you intend to operate under an exemption you should note the guidance and regulations.

If you are selling alcohol, or supplying late night refreshment you will almost always need to apply for an authorisation.

The Legislation provides a clear focus on the promotion of the four statutory objectives:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder;
  • Public safety;
  • Prevention of public nuisance; and
  • Protection of children from harm.

Any application should seek to promote these objectives. Any premises that undermine these objectives can be subject to enforcement action.

Where can I find out more?

The Government Department responsible for the Act is the Department of Culture Media and Sports (DCMS) and their web-site is a good source of information about the Act;

The Licensing team here will also of course be happy to advise. Please feel free to contact us


Back to the Alcohol and Entertainment Page



Last Updated: 23 March 2020