Chaperone Licence


The Council has a policy document that it uses to interpret and apply the legal requirements in respect of Children’s Work Permits; children’s performance licensing and chaperones. Read the Children's Policy 2017 here. (PDF, 1.3MB)

Why do I need a licence?

It is a legal requirement that whenever children of compulsory school age are engaged in public performances or entertainment under a licence issued by the Local Authority, they must be supervised at all times by a registered chaperone (matron) - unless they are under the direct supervision of either parent or an agreed tutor.

If you wish to conduct this activity then you will need to be licensed as a Chaperone.

What do the regulations say?

View the regulations here

The policy referred to above provides guidance on our procedure and the legal requirements applicable.

Who can apply?

Anyone who is at least 18 years old and supervising a child of compulsory school age who is engaged in public performances or entertainment under a licence issued by the Local Authority.

How to apply?

Download the application form from the Chaperone application pack (PDF, 129KB) and Proof of Address (PDF, 39KB) list to see the information we require. You must then submit a completed application to us with all original documents.

What documents are required?

In order for us to issue a licence, certain checks and procedures are required as the Council needs to be assured you are a suitable person.  You therefore need to provide the following documents (PDF, 27KB).

How much does it cost?

There is no charge by Milton Keynes Council for an application. However, unless you already hold a relevant DBS certificate you will need to obtain one of these and pay the relevant fee – this will either be £65 or £21 depending on whether you are a paid chaperone or a volunteer chaperone. 

You will also need to pay a £25 fee to undertake the NSPCC training certificate. Both of these prices are correct as of 16 January 2020 – however they are subject to change.

How to obtain an NSPCC training certificate

The NSPCC course can be done online

It is important that anyone wishing to be a chaperone undertakes this training as it will ensure that they are able to understand the regulatory requirements they need to comply with to ensure that any child that they look after is not only safe, but has an enjoyable experience.

Back to Top

How to obtain a DBS (criminal record check)

  • Go to and purchase an Enhanced DBS Check
  • Ensure that the company name stated is “Milton Keynes Licensing”
  • Await your confirmation email and check instructions from Personnel Checks  

Follow this link to obtain a DBS certificate.

If you hold an enhanced DBS certificate for the relevant workforce category and it has either been issued in the last 3 months or you have registered to the DBS update service you do not need a new one. If in doubt please check with us first.

Volunteer Chaperone applications

The DBS definition of a volunteer is defined in the Police Act 1997 (criminal records) Regulations 2002 as:

“Any person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit some third party and not a close relative.”

If you are a volunteer the cost you will pay for your DBS will be reduced. To be a volunteer you must not benefit directly from the position the DBS application is being submitted for.  Additionally, you must not:

  • receive any payment (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses)
  • be on a work placement
  • be on a course that requires you to do this job role
  • be in a trainee position that will lead to a full time role/qualification

Is the licence granted if you do not hear from the Licensing Authority? (Tacit Consent)

No. As this licence requires us to request an enhanced disclosure on your behalf, a licence will not be issued unless satisfactory clearance has been received from the DBS and the Council has otherwise assessed you as suitable.

What if the licence is refused or rejected?

Please contact Milton Keynes Council in the first instance.

How much does this application cost?

There is no licence fee for chaperones but the disclosure process costs £65 or £21 if you are solely working as a volunteer.

If you already have an in date disclosure certificate as detailed above you will not need to pay a fee.

How long does the license last?

Three years from the date the licence is issued. It is your responsibility to ensure you renew the licence at the end of this period as no renewal letter is issued by the licensing team.  At that time you will also need an updated DBS certificate.

DBS Update service

The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service allows applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date. When their licence needs to be renewed, providing there have been no changes to their DBS, they will not be required to apply for a new one or supply copies of their identification etc. You need to register to use the update service which currently costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). Holders of a Volunteer DBS disclosure can register FREE or the update service.

How to register

If you’ve not yet applied for a DBS check, you can register for the update service using your application reference number (the ‘form ref’ on your application form). DBS must receive your application form within 28 days. If you’ve already applied, you can register for the update service using your DBS certificate number. You must do this within 19 days of the certificate being issued.

Please note that DBS may cancel your DBS registration if you apply for a volunteer application incorrectly.

Back to Top


Last Updated: 26 May 2022