Hypnotism Authorisation


Licence Summary

Under the Hypnotism Act 1952, if you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public you may require authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales.

You must comply with any conditions attached to that authorisation.

Eligibility Criteria

A fee of £84 is payable if you require an authorisation.

Regulation Summary

Where the premises concerned holds a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 for Regulated entertainment (and you have permission of the licence holder to perform) then no authorisation under the Hypnotism Act is required unless there are conditions on the licence that require a separate Hypnotism authorisation to be obtained. The premises licence may already impose conditions in respect of Hypnotism (in which case these must be complied with).

Where the premises concerned does not hold a licence for Regulated entertainment under the Licensing Act 2003 then an authorisation under the Hypnotism Act (by way of application) is required.

Hypnotism includes mesmerism and any similar act or process which produces or is intended to produce in any person any form of induced sleep or trance in which the susceptibility of the mind of that person to suggestion or direction is increased or intended to be increased.  It does not include hypnotism, mesmerism or any such similar act or process which is self-induced.  In addition exhibitions, demonstrations or performances of hypnotism that take place in the course of a performance of a play are exempt from any licence or authorisation requirement


Application Evaluation Process

The Council will consult with the police and Environmental Health on any applications received before approving an application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 14 days.


An application period of 14 working days is required.


£84 fixed fee amount.

How to Apply

Apply online or Apply by post - conditions attached. (PDF, 105KB)

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the authorisation holder by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and the performance took place within the Borough of Milton Keynes, you can contact us and we will give you advice.

Back to Top


Last Updated: 1 April 2021