Scrap Metal Licensing
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act introduces two types of licence:
- A scrap metal dealers licence for scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators who operate from a particular site.
- A collector’s licence for mobile metal collectors who operate by collecting scrap in the borough of Milton Keynes but do not have a fixed site of operations in the borough.
Both licences will be valid for 3 years. It is not possible for the same applicant to hold both types of licences from the same authority but you may hold licences with more than one authority. You will still need to hold a valid Waste Carriers Licence issued by the Environment Agency.
The Council has a policy document on how we will apply and interpret this legislation which can be viewed via the following link Scrap Metal Policy (PDF, 210KB). We would advise anyone applying for a licence to consider this document before submitting an application as well as the guidance notes also on this page.
Please see the current fees list (PDF, 131KB). Note: there is a separate licence grant fee which is payable prior to issue of some licences.
Applications/Renewals must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The relevant fee
- A basic DBS check for every person named on the application (these must be dated within 3 months of the application). A DBS check can be obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service
- Photographic evidence and proof of address for every person named on the application by production of a valid Great Britain or Northern Ireland photo-card driving licence or a valid EU passport and a recent utility bill
- A passport style photograph of all those named on the application
- An Environment Agency Waste Carrier’s Licence
- A plan of the site (for site applications)
As part of the application process an applicant’s identity needs to be verified, although you may apply by post it is advisable for applications to be made in person to the licensing team at Civic Offices as any documents that are received by post will be returned by standard second class post and no responsibility will be taken for documents lost in the post.
Before attending Civic Offices please telephone the licensing team on 01908 252800 to make an appointment. Without an appointment it cannot be guaranteed that you will be seen and your application accepted.
Last Updated: 1 April 2021