Caravan and Camping Site Licence

This page will help you understand if you need a Caravan and Camping Site Licence, and how to apply.

Do I need this licence?

To set up a caravan or camping site in the borough of Milton Keynes, the owner of the land must hold a Caravan and Camping Site Licence.

What are the conditions of the licence?

There are some conditions attached to the licence, these cover:

  • The type of caravan, e.g. residential, static, holiday or touring
  • The number of caravans per acre or hectare and the spacing between them
  • The water supply and drainage for the caravans, such as lavatory and washing facilities
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations

We will also discuss your proposed application with the Fire Authority.

We will not issue a Caravan or Camping Site Licence if:

  • The land does not have planning permission for use as a caravan or camping site
  • Planning permission will expire within six months of the licence application
  • The applicant has had a site licence revoked within the last three years


There are some exceptions where a licence is not needed:

  • If a caravan is positioned in the grounds of a property and is used as part of the home. For example, if a family member lives in it
  • If a site is occupied by an organisation that is exempt from needing a licence, such as the Caravan Club
  • Local authority owned sites
  • If the site is for temporary and special use, such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
  • If it is a site for camping that is only being used for a maximum of 42 consecutive days and or 60 days in total during any 12 month period.

Online Application

You can apply for a caravan licence online at the Government website 

Apply by post

Caravan Site application form (PDF, 137KB)

Download the MKC application form  if you are applying for a caravan site licence or to transfer an existing licence or amend conditions on a licence.The form details the additional documents you may also need to provide depending on the nature of your application. The application must be accompanied by a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Camping Site application form (PDF, 106KB)

Download the MKC application form  if you are applying for a camp site licence  or to amend conditions on a licence. The form details the additional documents you may also need to provide depending on the nature of your application. The application must be accompanied by a site plan showing the layout of roads, pitches and facilities.

What does it cost?

There are no fees or charges for this service.

Are there inspections/assessments?

Once you application has been received, we will contact you and arrange to visit the proposed caravan site. Once the licence is issued, we will inspect the site at least once a year to ensure that the conditions of the licence are being met.

If I don't hear from you, can I assume it's been granted ("tacit consent")?

Yes.  A caravan site application is deemed granted after 2 months if you do not hear from us to the contrary.  A campsite licence is deemed granted after 28 days if you do not hear from us to the contrary.

If I'm turned down, how do I appeal?

Firstly, please contact the Licensing Team to see if we can resolve the issue. If you want to appeal about the refusal of a licence, a condition attached to a licence, or changes to the conditions, you can do so by appealing to Magistrates' Court within 21 days of receiving your notification letter from us.

How long does the licence last, and what's the renewal procedure?

The licence lasts for an indefinite period, unless the planning permission for site expires. In this situation, the licence would expire when the planning permission expires.

The Council may alter, cancel or make new conditions at any time, we will inform you of this, and give you the chance to challenge any decisions.

How do I tell you about changes of circumstance?

If you own a caravan or camping site, you should already have a licence but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. You should also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should contact the Licensing Team and send us the licence so that we can re-issue it.

If you have recently become a caravan or camping site owner, licences are transferable to a new occupier, but we will need to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either approve or re-issue it.

If you are looking into becoming a site owner, you or your legal advisor should check that all the land that is to be used for caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you want to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site, you must have planning permission before we can issue a licence.

Consumer Complaint

If you have a complaint against a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader - preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are in the UK, you can find advice on the Governments .Gov website.

The register of caravan and camping site licences is available at the following link:

Caravan and Camping Public Register (PDF, 186KB)


Last Updated: 25 August 2020