Tattooists, piercing and electrolysis registration


If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, or electrolysis, both the persons undertaking the activity and the premises concerned must be registered with the local council.

Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration.

Tattooists and skin piercers can now open as of the 12 April 2021, Government Guidance provides updated actions you must take

Eligibility Criteria

You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practising without a licence in this field.

A fee maybe charged.

Regulation Summary

The council has Byelaws (PDF, 91KB) on the standards that must be in place at a premises. 

There is also a good practice guide on piercing from the Institute of Environmental Health that can provide useful information for particular types of piercing.

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within the target completion period of 28 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.

How to apply

Download an application and apply by post:

Any premises registered will need to comply with the Council Byelaws for piercing establishments.

How much does the licence cost?

View a full list of the fees and charges here. (PDF, 131KB)

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Milton Keynes Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Milton Keynes Council in the first instance.

If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the County Court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Back to Top



Last Updated: 12 April 2021