Noise Nuisance

Throughout the country complaints about noise are increasing. People are bothered by noise from parties, factories, entertainments, intruder and car alarms, audio systems, barking dogs and many other sources. Milton Keynes is no different and the Environmental Health Department receives more complaints about noise than any other topic.

Further information and guidance on how to complain:

Matters which Milton Keynes Council cannot investigate as neighbourhood noise complaints


What happens next?

Where a warning has been given, or an abatement notice served, and the noise stops, then that should be an end of the matter and no further action will be necessary.

If the noise continues, where only a warning has been given, then a noise abatement notice will be served.

Where a notice has already been served and the noise continues then an offence has been committed. Once suitable evidence has been obtained the Regulatory Unit (Environmental Health) will take formal action, that may include prosecution and/or seizure of the noise making equipment.

However, as the statistics show, very few complaints reach the stage where formal action is necessary.

Noise from occupiers of Council properties

Complaints about domestic noise arising from the occupiers of Council owned properties will be investigated by the Regulatory Unit in the same way as any other noise complaint.

However, they will also be referred to the appropriate District Housing Manager for investigation and possible action under the conditions of letting, as set out in the tenancy agreement, and anti-social behaviour legislation.