Animal Activity Licence (boarding)

Licensable activities involving animals and the relevant establishments


The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 covers animal licensing. This includes home dog boarding, dog day care, boarding dogs in kennels and boarding cats.

From 1 October 2018, all new applications and renewals will be under these regulations.  Read the 'new regulations' here.

If you're providing board for any dog or cat in the course of a business, including in a private dwelling, you will need a licence from the local authority.  The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other conditions.

A local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

How can I apply?

Firstly, you should read the general and applicable specific conditions and guidance below.

The guidance includes everything you need to know including the conditions you need to meet and how to achieve the higher standards, who is eligible to apply and information on the star rating system.

Firstly read the general conditions (PDF, 50KB)  and guidance (PDF, 207KB) which apply to all activities.

Then read the specific conditions and guidance for your business: 

There is also a procedural guide (PDF, 685KB) which provides you with all you need to know about the processes involved.

You can apply to carry out a licensable activity online or apply by post, by downloading the application form (PDF, 61KB) and sending it to the address on the form.

How much does the licence cost?

Please see current fees list Licensing Fees and Charges. (PDF, 204KB)

Please note: the application fee will need to be paid at the time of submitting the application form.  Payments should be made by credit/debit card; we will contact you using the telephone number provided, once the application has been validated.

Back to Top


Last Updated: 1 April 2021