Business Advice We Can Give
Businesses, large or small, are subject to a wide range of legislation designed to protect the consumer, and promote a fair and safe trading environment. Whether you manufacture, import or retail goods, or provide a service, you are subject to these laws.
By supporting businesses with advice on systems for compliance and, when possible, advice on individual products and services, the Trading Standards Division aims to help you to understand and meet your legal responsibilities.
It makes sense to use our expertise when planning a new product or service, or when reviewing your operations. Having effective systems in place in your business could, for example, avoid the expense of a product recall or the reprint and redistribution of an erroneous catalogue.
We can advise businesses about:
- Product Safety - the general safety requirements, product liability, and compliance with standards and regulations.
- Food - labelling requirements, compositional standards and descriptions.
- Terms and conditions - make sure your terms are protecting your business by being fair.
- Fair Trading - avoiding false or misleading acts or omissions for goods and services.
- Weights and Measures - the legality and suitability of weighing and measuring equipment; the weight marking of goods.
- Contracts - contract terms and conditions, including unfair contract terms, restrictions on statements, cancellable contracts etc.
- Business Names - the legal requirements for the content of letter headings, business cards, invoices, etc.
- Provision of training to ensure your staff understand their legal obligations and the statutory rights of your customers.
We offer impartial advice to:
- Service industries
- Advertising agencies
- Livestock and arable farmers
We offer advice through the Primary Authority scheme. If you would like more information please contact us directly on tel: 01908 252818 or visit our website.
Last Updated: 13 February 2018