Hiring out horses (formerly known as riding establishments)

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in England, you need a licence from the local authority.

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 covers the hiring out of horses. 

Under the new regulations there are General conditions and specific conditions for hiring out horses, which you will need to meet before a licence can be issued.

Read the new regulations here.

Please also read:

An annual inspection is required and the Council will arrange this with a veterinary surgeon.

The licence will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence fee.

How much will the licence cost?

Please see the current fees list: Licensing fees and charges 2020 - 2021. (PDF, 204KB)

A charge also applies for variations to the licence, please see the link above.

How do I apply?

Once you have read the above conditions and guidance, you can download an application form (PDF, 66KB) to complete and return to Milton Keynes Council with payment. 

Horse Riding Establishments Currently Licensed by Milton Keynes Council

  • Ride High, Loughton

Back to Top


Last Updated: 1 April 2021