Disabled Person's Bus Pass
Eligiblility for a Disabled Person's Bus Pass
You must be over 5 years of age and meet one of the following:
- be blind or partially sighted
- be profoundly or severely deaf
- be without speech
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind that started before adulthood and includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle, should an application be made under Part III of the Road Transport Act 1988, under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol
How to Apply for or Renew a Disabled Person's Bus Pass
The simplest way to apply for or renew your bus pass is to use our online application form. Apply online
You will need to provide evidence of a disability. Please submit a copy of one of the following documents with your application:
- a registration card stating that you are either severely sight impaired (blind), sight impaired (partially sighted) deaf or without speech
- a Certificate of Vision Impairment
- a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that you are currently in receipt of the higher rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- a photocopy of your letter of entitlement to the Personal Independence Payment qualifying you under the moving around or communicating verbally section(s)
- a letter from Milton Keynes Council's Adult Social Care or Learning Disabilities Team confirming that you have a Learning Disability
- a recent letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) confirming that you are medically unfit to drive and have surrendered your licence
- a letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency confirming that you are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility supplement
- a newly completed 09MQ12 form, signed and stamped by a medical practitioner confirming that you are eligible
A photograph is required for all bus card renewals.
The fastest way to apply for or renew your bus pass is to use our online form. Alternatively, you can call the helpline on 01908 254660 and ask for a form to be posted to you, or collect a copy from Milton Keynes Council's receptions at the Civic Offices and Saxon Court, or download and print the Concessionary Bus Card Application Form (PDF, 346KB). Please note that renewal reminders will not be sent out to you.
Milton Keynes Council will not refund bus pass fares incurred while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.
Milton Keynes Council does not issue companion pass. Companion passes issued by other authorities are not valid for travel within Milton Keynes.
The Benefits of a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
Holders of a Disabled Person's Bus Pass are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England. Off-peak means any service from 09:30 up to 23:00 Monday to Friday or anytime on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Milton Keynes bus pass holders can also:
- travel on local Milton Keynes buses from midnight until 09:29 Monday to Friday for just 50p per journey
- travel for free between 23:00 and midnight
Last Updated: 4 April 2019