Drains and gullies

The Highways team clean and maintain the road gullies on adopted highway. Private landowners are responsible for drainage on their property and if they are in a flood prone area, they should also protect their property from flooding.

Report an issue with a blocked gully

An important part of any road network is the drainage system which is designed to carry water away from the road surface. Keeping the drains clear from obstructions is important otherwise problems can occur.  Even when a gully is clean and well maintained it will only cope with a certain volume of water at one time, a sudden and heavy downpour can still cause flooding especially if the road is in a low lying area.

Tree roots can cause an issue as they grow through and along the pipes reducing the amount of space for the surface water to be removed. These need to be removed by specialist equipment.

We use gully tankers to remove silt from the drains on all adopted highway. We also high pressure jetting to remove blockages and special cameras to check the drains.

Flooding hotspots across MK have been identified and are cleaned and checked on a regular basis. This means that if there is heavy rainfall, the gullies can remove surface water to their maximum capacity. 

Here is our Service Statement on gully cleaning, we will:

  • maintain the gullies so they can effectively remove road surface water 
  • respond to blocked gullies and monitor hotspots
  • inspect and clean all drainage grids and grilles annually  
  • inspect, clean and clear all drainage grips (a shallow ditch to help water drain from the road) as part of our annual maintenance
  • clean Council-maintained ditches on an annual basis  these are: Deethe Close (Woburn Sands), Lower Weald, Orchard Way (Stoke Goldington) and Tathall End
  • provide a 24-7 emergency service to respond to drainage emergencies

Our gullies empty into the main storm sewer in the road. This is owned and managed by the water company which drains the surface water into the rivers and balancing lakes. In Milton Keynes this is Anglian Water. You can contact them at www.anglianwater.co.uk

You can report a blocked road drain using the Report It section on our website or call 01908 252353.

Last Updated: 17 September 2021