How to request relocation of a street light
Street lighting columns are positioned to provide the right amount of light for the type of road they are on for the safety of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. However if a street light is causing access issues to a property you can apply for it to be relocated nearby.
How to apply
All requests must be done using our application process. The non-refundable fee of £180 must be paid when you complete the online application. This covers the cost of the assessment by our highways officers and will include;
- site inspections,
- obtaining statutory undertaker apparatus information,
- producing quotations
- other associated administrative costs.
Our Street Lighting Officer will look at each application on an individual basis check if it meets our design and safety criteria.
Please check before applying:
We can only consider relocating a street light column relocation if:
- The lighting column prevents entry/exit to a driveway or dropped kerb access or there is a significant impact on access/exit
- There is a suitable alternative site to relocate the column to that won’t impact on the lighting levels for the immediate area.
- The lighting column doesn’t interfere with existing utility apparatus.
- The column is able to be relocated within 1.5m of its original site.
- The proposed new location creates no safety hazard or increased risk.
- The resident is prepared to cover the total cost of the relocation as detailed in our quotation.
- The column is situated on adopted highway* Any columns that have yet to be adopted by us will not be considered as these are still under the responsibility of the developer and any request should be sent to them instead.
*You can check if the location is adopted highway by visiting the My MK Mapping tile on our homepage. Tick the box for 'Highways - Adopted Highways' which will be shown in blue.
Where the relocation of a street lighting column is associated with development works involving planning permission, the relocation of the street light should be included in that process and not separately through this one.
After we have received your application this is what we will do:
- The site will be inspected and checked for conflicts with utility services and the suitability of the relocation within the existing lighting design. A decision will then be made.
- If the relocation of the street light is acceptable to the Council, the application shall be approved.
- Where the requested relocation is not possible the Street Lighting Officer may suggest an acceptable alternative, which satisfies the lighting design specification.
- A plan shall be provided to you, together with a quotation from our approved contractor, which you will need to accept and pay for before any work starts. Costs can vary depending on the location for removal and relocation and any other necessary work involved.
What is included in the cost on the quote?
The quotation for works will include all costs necessary to relocate the street light, including;
- Associated costs for technical design works where applicable.
- Electricity board disconnection/reconnection fees.
- The removal of the existing lighting column and the installation of a lighting column at the new location (where it is not possible to reuse the existing column a new column shall be used).
- Relaying new cables below ground
- Legal notices and permits where they are required.
- Traffic management and site safety equipment hire, which can include safety barriers, signs and footway closures/diversions where required.
- Associated civil works such as excavations works including any necessary trenching.
- Where new LED lanterns have previously been installed onto the column, the lantern will be reconnected however if it was one of the older style orange style sodium lanterns we will convert it to an LED at no extra cost.
The minimum cost of column relocation starts at around £1,000 but can be significantly higher depending upon the complexity and volume of the work required.
Applicants are NOT permitted to arrange for their own contractor to undertake the works. Undertaking any work on the Council's assets without permission is illegal.
If your application is not approved the fee is non-returnable and there is no appeal process so please consider all the above details carefully before applying. Any further requests for relocation for the same column will be treated as a new application.
Ready to apply?
Before you submit your application:
- Read the guidance above carefully.
- Ensure that your requirements meet the criteria listed above, before the submission of an application; otherwise it may not be approved.
- All applications incur a non-refundable application fee of £180.
If you want to go ahead please complete a Street Lighting relocation application form
Got a question?
If you have any questions or need help with the application process, you can email our Street Lighting Officer at Streetlighting@milton-keynes.gov.uk or call 01908 252353.
Last Updated: 21 July 2020