Builders' Skips on the Highway


The Council undertakes vetting of waste carriers and the disposal of waste to ensure protection of the public and the environment.

It is a Council requirement that skip operators have, and are able to produce, copies of certificates proving adequate current insurance liability cover of at least £5,000,000 before a licence for placement of a skip on the public highway can be issued.

The List of Skip Companies* (DOC, 33KB) that have provided the Council with copies of their insurance details and are authorised by the Council to collect and dispose of waste. *You are not obliged to use any of these Companies for the hire of skips, although if you use a Company that is not listed, your application may be delayed until the insurance and operating systems of the waste disposal company have been approved by the Council.

Application For A Skip Licence On The Public Highway

Skips and Skip bags on the highway have to be licensed under the Highways Act 1980. Please ensure that you allow 7 days for the application to be processed by the Council. 

Where skips are placed upon the Highway without the permission of the Highway Authority (Milton Keynes Council), the Highway Authority may request immediate removal of the offending skip by the skip provider and make a charge of £248.19.

The cost of a licence is £53.11 for 7 days only, thereafter £31.55 for every subsequent 7 day period. Skips are not normally allowed on yellow lines or verges.

Skips inside Central Milton Keynes will need lights and possibly traffic management or barriers. All skips will also need to be covered.

For skips outside Central Milton Keynes you may need the above but you will be notified by Milton Keynes Council. 

It is important to note that where the skip is to be located in a parking bay;

  • A 10-day notice period is required by the MK Direct parking team.

  • You must apply to Mk Direct for the suspension of the parking bay. MK Direct can be contacted on 01908 254871 or by email. The Suspension Form (PDF, 96KB)is also available.

 The licence will not be issued until notification of the suspension has been received by MK Direct.

Complete the  Skip Application Form, or  email the Council  with any questions regarding the location of skips.

Frequently Asked Questions


Can skips be located on sections of a road with stopping or parking restrictions (yellow lines)?

Can skips be located on sections of a road which have been designated a Clearway?

Can skips be located on the grass verge adjacent to the carriageway?

Can skips be located on sections of a road that has residents parking?
In most cases Yes, but each case is reviewed on its own merits and you should make specific enquiries with MK Direct Parking.

Who is responsible for signing and guarding the skip?
The person acquiring the licence. It is your responsibility to ensure that it is clearly signed and guarded and lit at night if necessary. The Council will provide advice if required.

Is there a maximum duration that a skip can stand on the carriageway?
Generally no, although there may be cases where a time restriction is imposed for specific reasons. If the skip is required for a period in excess of four weeks you should make enquiries with the Council.

Can I have a skip dropped in the rear access road behind my house?
No. The rear access roads must be kept clear for other users and Emergency Vehicles.

Can I have a skip dropped on a footpath or Redway?
No Footpaths and Redways must be kept clear.

What if someone fills up my skip overnight, am I responsible for someone else’s rubbish?
Yes, the person to whom the skip is licensed is responsible.

Who do I contact for more information?
Email your questions




Last Updated: 27 February 2020