Parking information

Check out our Mini Guide on Parking Enforcement (PDF, 14.5MB) to find out more about obstructive parking, what the Council can do, dropped kerbs and more.

Vehicles parked in an obstructive manner

The Police have the powers to issue fines, or in some cases remove vehicles, that are parked in an obstructive manner. This may involve blocking a private drive-way, or walkway, or parking in such a manner so as to prevent emergency vehicles free access through a street. Please note that the police no longer deal with parking obstructions which are not causing immediate danger to the public.

Please call 101 to report an obstruction.

When can the Council become involved?

The Council only has the powers to issue penalty fines for vehicles that are parked in contravention of a legal parking restriction, which will be shown by signs and lines on site, for example, a double yellow line or a resident permit parking restriction. If there are no signs and/or lines, it is likely that the matter will need to be addressed with the Police (see above).

What isn't classed as a parking obstruction?

Most roads are public highway meaning that all users have equal access. You do not have a right to park on the road outside of your property and if someone else parks there, very little can be done unless they are actually blocking your access (see 'obstruction' above). Similarly, if someone is parked in an inconsiderate manner but there is no restriction shown by lines and signs, and they are not obstructing the highway, very little can be done by either the Council or Police.

Please see Obstruction on a road, footpath or redway for more information.

Commercial Vehicles parked in Residential Locations

A commercial vehicle is permitted to park in a residential street if it does not have a gross laden weight of over 3.5 tonnes, which is about the size of a Renault Master, Peugeot Boxer, Sprinter, Double Glazing or Builders truck size.  Milton Keynes Council does not have any jurisdiction over this and unless the vehicle is causing a serious obstruction to other vehicles, pedestrians and the mobility impaired when the Police are best placed to assist in the situation.

Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes (medium & heavy goods vehicles) must have an Operating Licence and should return to an Operating Centre or Designated Parking Area overnight. The Operating Licence should be displayed on the vehicle and if parked in a residential area, then the Driver and Vehicles Standards Agency (DVSA) or Police will be able deal with this. They will need to be informed of the name and number on the Operating Licence or the Index Number at the time that vehicle is parked, before they can take further action. It is a matter for a resident to report directly to the Police.

Double Yellow Lines

Milton Keynes Council would not generally implement parking restrictions such as double yellow lines in isolated locations unless there is a genuine road safety concern normally substantiated by a collision history. The remoteness from the normal beats of our parking enforcement team mean that they would receive minimal enforcement, particularly in the evenings and weekends.  To implement waiting restrictions involves the making of a Traffic Regulation Order which is the legal document that makes the restrictions enforceable. The making of a Traffic Regulation Order consists of a lengthy and costly legal procedure. Should parked vehicles cause a serious obstruction, the local Police Officers are best placed to assist in the matter

Wheel clamps and removal of vehicles

Milton Keynes Council does not currently clamp or remove vehicles that are parked in contravention of parking restrictions either on the public highway or in its off-street car parks. However, if a Penalty Charge Notice remains unpaid, the debt is passed to the council's certificated bailiffs. On occasions, the bailiffs will clamp and/or remove a vehicle if they have been unsuccessful in recovering the debt owed by other means. In addition to this, abandoned vehicles and vehicles without a valid vehicle excise licence can be clamped and/or removed.


Last Updated: 19 October 2021