Parking - Frequently Asked Questions

Parking charges apply from 7am-6pm on all days except 25th December and Easter Sunday.

How do I pay for parking?

What do I do if I get a parking ticket?

What do I need to know so that I don't get a parking ticket?

What other information might I find useful?

How do I pay for a parking space if I don't have enough cash?

Please visit Ring Go for cashless parking. Alternatively, you can telephone them on 01908 880880.

What does decriminalised mean?

Milton Keynes operates a decriminalised parking scheme, under the Traffic Management Act 2004. This means that certain non-endorseable parking contraventions can be enforced by the council, or by the agents working on the council’s behalf.

As the scheme is decriminalised, if you receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) on your vehicle for parking in breach of the regulations, you cannot appeal through the courts. However, there is a special tribunal set up to adjudicate over PCN disputes called the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. You cannot appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal until you have made formal representations to the council after the service of the Notice to Owner.

Back to Top

Appealing a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

If your representations are rejected, the council will send you a 'Notice of Rejection', explaining the reasons that your representations have been rejected. An appeal form will also be enclosed giving details of how you can formally appeal to Traffic Penalty Tribunal. They have the authority to override the council's decision and they can instruct the council to cancel a PCN. However,  Traffic Penalty Tribunal are only able to allow an appeal that falls within 1 of 8 statutory grounds, listed below. If your appeal does not fall within one of the grounds below, you are still allowed to submit the appeal, but the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator cannot, by law, allow an appeal for any reason other than those listed below, e.g. mitigating circumstances cannot be taken into account.

Grounds of appeal:

  1. The alleged parking contravention did not occur
  2. When the vehicle was parked it had been taken without the owner's consent
  3. You were not the owner at the time the alleged parking contravention occured
  4. There has been a procedural impropriety on the part of the local authority
  5. You are a vehicle hire firm and have provided the name and address of the hirer
  6. The penalty exceeded the relevant amount (for example, the sum printed on the PCN document differed from the sum stated in the Traffic Regulation Order)
  7. The relevant Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) was invalid (only applicable if the TRO has been found to be defective by the High Court)
  8. There has been compelling reasons why, in the particular circumstances of the case, the local authority should cancel the PCN

You can either opt for a personal hearing whereby you can attend in person and advise the adjudicator of the circumstances, or a postal hearing whereby you send all evidence to the adjudicator and the council does the same. You are now also able to request a phone hearing. Further details on the appeal process can be found on the official Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You cannot ask for the process to be brought forward, and are unable to appeal to Traffic Penalty Tribunal until you have received the Notice of Rejection from Milton Keynes Council.

Back to Top

What if I don’t pay?

If you ignore the Notice to Owner, or appeal and your appeal is rejected and you do not make payment, the council will send a Charge Certificate (red letter) to the registered keeper of the vehicle with DVLA. At this stage, a 50% surcharge is added.

Milton Keynes Council under the Traffic Management Act (TMA) 2004 operates a 2 tier penalty system depending upon the severity of the contravention committed. Parking where you are allowed to park, but breaching the regulations such as overstaying in a pay and display bay, will be subject to a lower penalty of £50 (reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days). Parking somewhere you shouldn’t, such as on yellow lines, will be subject to a higher penalty of £70 (reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days). £70 is the current penalty for all contraventions in Milton Keynes. For details of which contraventions are subject to the higher and lower level charge please click here to view the TMA 2004 tier Parking Charges Table 

Payment must be made within 14 days from the service of the Charge Certificate, or the outstanding amount will be registered as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC), a special County Court that deals with parking and traffic fines. Registration at TEC is an electronic process; an open hearing does not take place whereby you are able to attend and represent yourself.

The council notifies the registered keeper after the case has been registered at TEC. The keeper then has 28 days to make payment of the charge plus court costs. Failure to do this results in the debt being passed to the council's certificated bailiffs, who are able to seize and sell goods to recover the charge, and their own costs, which can be quite significant.

Back to Top

PCN charges

Milton Keynes Council under the Traffic Management Act (TMA) 2004 operates a 2 tier penalty system depending upon the severity of the contravention committed.

Parking where you are allowed to park, but breaching the regulations, such as overstaying in a pay and display bay will be subject to a lower penalty of £50 (reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days). Parking somewhere you shouldn’t, such as on yellow lines, will be subject to a higher penalty of £70 (reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days). £70 is the current penalty for all contraventions in Milton Keynes. For details of which contraventions are subject to the higher and lower level charge please click here to view the Parking Charges Table.

Back to Top


All signing on the public highway must adhere to the government's statutory directive, called 'Traffic Signs, Regulations and General Directions 2016'. This specifies the size, shape, wording, location, etc. of signing. Milton Keynes Council is not permitted to deviate from this document, by, for example, erecting larger signs than those permitted. Therefore, you cannot successfully appeal against the issue of a PCN on the basis that, in your opinion, the signs are too small. Central Government decides on factors such as this, rather than the individual council.

Back to Top

Disabled drivers

Applying for a Blue Badge

Back to Top

Parking permits

Milton Keynes Council runs Residential, CMK Carers, Hotels Commuter and Market Trader permit schemes. We also offer Employee, Commuter and Car Share permits. See the Parking Parking Permits page.

Back to Top

Privately operated car parks

Throughout Milton Keynes there are a number of car parks in the area owned and operated by private companies. The council has no powers over the control of these car parks; however, the council does attempt to work with owners to ensure as far as is possible a common approach to security, pricing and enforcement. Signing within the parking area should indicate the owner/manager of the car park, and contact details.

Back to Top

Wheel clamps and removal of vehicles

Milton Keynes Council does not currently clamp or remove vehicles that are parked in contravention of parking restrictions either on the public highway or in its off-street car parks. However, if a Penalty Charge Notice remains unpaid, the debt is passed to the council's certificated bailiffs. On occasions, the bailiffs will clamp and/or remove a vehicle if they have been unsuccessful in recovering the debt owed by other means. In addition to this, abandoned vehicles and vehicles without a valid vehicle excise license can be clamped and/or removed.

Back to Top

Double Yellow Lines

Milton Keynes Council would not generally implement parking restrictions such as double yellow lines in isolated locations unless there is a genuine road safety concern normally substantiated by a collision history. The remoteness from the normal beats of our parking enforcement team mean that they would receive minimal enforcement, particularly in the evenings and weekends.  To implement waiting restrictions involves the making of a Traffic Regulation Order which is the legal document that makes the restrictions enforceable. The making of a Traffic Regulation Order consists of a lengthy and costly legal procedure. Should parked vehicles cause a serious obstruction, the local Police Officers are best placed to assist in the matter.

Back to Top


The Police have the powers to issue fines, or in some cases remove vehicles, that are parked in an obstructive manner. This may involve blocking a private driveway, or walkway, or parking in such a manner so as to prevent emergency vehicles free access through a street. Please call 101 to report an obstruction.

When can the council become involved?

The council only has the powers to issue penalty fines for vehicles that are parked in contravention of a legal parking restriction, which will be shown by signs and lines on site, for example, a double yellow line or a resident permit parking restriction. If there are no signs and/or lines, it is likely that the matter will need to be addressed with the police (see above).

What isn't classed as obstruction?

Most roads are public highway, meaning that all users have equal access. You do not have a right to park on the road outside of your property, and if someone else parks there very little can be done unless they are actually blocking your access (see 'Obstruction' above). Similarly, if someone is parked in an inconsiderate manner but there is no restriction shown by lines and signs, and they are not obstructing the highway, very little can be done by either the council or police.

Back to Top

Parking terminology

PCN - Penalty Charge Notice - the parking ticket that is affixed to your vehicle

Notice to Owner - the green letter sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle with DVLA after approximately 28 days after the issue of the PCN, to advise of the unpaid charge.

TPT - Traffic Penalty Tribunal is an independant adjudicating service on PCN's in England and Wales.

Charge Certificate - the red letter sent to the registered keeper, prior to registration at court, to advise the keeper of the outstanding charge. A 50% surcharge is added at this stage.

TEC - Traffic Enforcement Centre - unpaid PCN's are electronically registered and turned into debts. 

Certificated Bailiffs - bailiffs working for the council that have been certificated for their good practice.

Back to Top

Motorhome parking

There is no dedicated motorhome parking available in Milton Keynes. However, we allow motorhome parking across several parking spaces as long as payment has been made for all spaces taken (separate parking tickets should be purchased for each space used). Motorists are requested to ensure that the vehicle is contained wholly within the outer bay markings and does not overhang into the roadway, causing an obstruction. 

Back to Top

Commercial Vehicles parked in Residential Locations

A commercial vehicle is permitted to park in a residential street as long as it does not have a gross laden weight of over 3.5 tonnes, which a about the size of a Renault Master, Peugeot Boxer, Sprinter, Double Glazing or Builders truck size.  Milton Keynes Council does not have any jurisdiction over this and unless the vehicle is causing a serious obstruction to other vehicles, pedestrians and the mobility impaired when the Police are best placed to assist in the situation.

Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes (medium & heavy goods vehicles) must have an Operating Licence and should return to an Operating Centre or Designated Parking Area overnight. The Operating Licence should be displayed on the vehicle and if parked in a residential area, then the Driver and Vehicles Standards Agency (DVSA) or Police will be able deal with this. They will need to be informed of the name and number on the Operating Licence or the Index Number at the time that vehicle is parked, before they can take further action. It is a matter for a resident to report directly to the Police.

Back to Top

Last Updated: 17 October 2019