Appealing a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

Challenge or Appeal a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

To appeal a PCN that starts with MK5

You can pay, appeal or view images of your alleged contravention online. You’ll need your PCN number prefixed by MK and vehicle registration number. Please allow 24 hours for images to appear online.

To make payment for a Penalty Charge Notice starting MK5 please have your Penalty Charge Notice number and vehicle registraton. To make payment by phone call 03300 882 927

You must challenge your penalty charge notice in writing, including:

  • your penalty charge notice number, your vehicle registration number, and your full address including postcode
  • as much detail as possible to support your challenge
  • any evidence including photos that support your challenge

You can phone 01604 625632 for any queries, but you can’t challenge a penalty charge notice by phone. You can appeal the ticket by clicking ‘appeal or view' above, or by post to:

Milton Keynes Council
PO Box 1549

Penalty Charge Notices that start with MK4

To make payment please have your Penalty Charge Notice number.

Legal Information

Informal challenges

If you make a challenge during the 14-day discount period we will place your PCN on hold until we respond. If your challenge is unsuccessful you can still pay at the discounted amount.

Please don’t write to us again until you receive a Notice to Owner which is sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The Notice to Owner is sent out not less than 28 days after your PCN is served.

Formal appeals

When you, as the registered keeper of the vehicle, receive a Notice to Owner you can make a formal appeal to us which must be made in writing. If your formal appeal is unsuccessful you may need to pay the charge in full.

Appeals to Traffic Penalty Tribunal

If you make a formal appeal to us and this is unsuccessful, we will write to you to advise of this and will include details for you to make a further appeal to the independent adjudicator. The adjudicator will examine your case and their decision is legally binding on both parties.

Please refer to the site for further information on how to appeal and the grounds of appeal on which an adjudicator can cancel a PCN

If the penalty has not been paid within the 28 day payment period, a letter will be issued to the vehicles registered owner- Notice to Owner . The Notice to Owner explains the grounds for challenging the PCN. If your challenges are rejected, the council will send you a 'Notice of Rejection', explaining the reasons that your challenges have been rejected. This letter will include details of how you can formally appeal online to Traffic Penalty Tribunal. They have the authority to over-ride the council's decision and they can instruct the council to cancel a PCN. However, Traffic Penalty Tribunal are only able to allow an appeal that falls within 1 of 8 statutory grounds, listed below. If your appeal does not fall within one of the grounds below, you are still allowed to submit the appeal, but the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator cannot, by law, allow an appeal for any reason other than those listed below, eg, mitigating circumstances cannot be taken into account.

Grounds of Appeal

  • The alleged parking contravention did not occur.
  • When the vehicle was parked it had been taken without my consent.
  • I was not the owner at the time the alleged parking contravention occured.
  • There has been a procedural impropriety on the part of the local authority.
  • We are a vehicle hire firm and have provided the name and address of the hirer.
  • The Penalty exceeded the relevant amount (for example, the sum printed on the PCN document differed from the sum stated in the Traffic Regulation Order)
  • The relevant Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) was invalid (only applicable if the TRO has been found to be defective by the High Court)
  • There has been compelling reasons why, in the particular circumstances of the case, the local authority should cancel the PCN.

Most adjudicator decisions are made online and are called e-decisions, or you can choose to have a phone hearing .Further details on the appeal process can be found on the official Traffic Penalty Tribunal web-site. You cannot ask for the process to be brought forward and are unable to appeal to Traffic Penalty Tribunal until you have received the Notice of Rejection from Milton Keynes Council.

Last Updated: 16 July 2019