Ending a council tenancy and tenancy succession


Use our  Notice to End Tenancy online form to tell us if you want to end a tenancy.

Giving us notice

You must give us four full weeks’ notice that you want to end your council tenancy, to expire on a Monday.  We may agree to a shorter period if you are:

  • transferring to another council property
  • moving to a housing association (registered social landlord) property after nomination by the council.
  • moving into residential care

If the tenant has died you should still complete the online form. We will make all necessary arrangements with the executor or representative managing the affairs of the deceased. We will need a copy of the death certificate and an estimate of the time required to clear the property.

  • A partner or adult who is permanently living in the property can ask to take over the tenancy by completing a Tenancy Succession Form

You can request to withdraw your notice before the tenancy end date, but the council may refuse this.

Pre-termination visits

After you have given us notice we will contact you to confirm your tenancy end date and make an appointment to visit and inspect the property and confirm what you need to prior to your tenancy ending.

Emptying the property

Your home, garden or garage and outside of the property should be left empty, clean and in good repair.

  • You can get rid of household rubbish and bulky items at one of our public waste disposal sites (tips), or Book a bulky item collection online.
  • If you live in a multi-storey block, your caretaker will explain how to get rid of rubbish and bulky items properly. If any items are left, you will be charged for their removal.
  • If you have improved your home such as fitting a shower or replacing light switches you can take these with you but you must replace the original items and repair any damage caused by their removal.

We may agree that you can leave some of the improvements you have made but if you leave these items without permission. We will charge you for anything which we have to remove or replace, for any damage you cause to your home and repairs that we need to make.

Utilities - gas, electricity and water

You will need to tell your gas, electricity and water electrical supplier that you are moving and make a note of your last meter reading(s).

  • Gas and electrical supply should be turned off at the meter
  • Water should be turned off at the stop tap

Clearing your rent account

You must pay all rent and charges up to the end of your tenancy (including arrears from any previous tenancy).

  • If you move to another property during the notice period, you may not be entitled to Housing Benefit for both properties and you will be responsible for paying the rent on your old home.
  • If you don’t pay the debts you owe, we will go to court to recover the debts. The cost of going to court will be added to the amount you owe. 

Returning your keys

When you leave the property you must make sure that doors are locked and all keys are returned to us, this includes:

  • Front-door and Back-door keys
  • Window-lock keys
  • Garage Store/shed keys (let as part of the tenancy)
  • Chute-room keys, key fobs, main entrance keys for a multi-storey block
  • Keys to shared gates and barriers.

On your tenancy end date, please post your keys through your Letterbox before 12PM and let your Housing Officer know. All keys should be labelled with the property address and any garage keys should be labelled separately.

We will not give you a receipt if you hand your keys to other council staff or if you send your keys through the post or drop them in the letterbox at Civic. If you do not hand your keys in on time you will be:

  • Charged a further week’s rent – this will not be covered by Housing Benefit
  • Held responsible for any damage to the property until you have handed in the keys
  • Charged the cost of changing any locks or replacing keys, including the cost of replacing the lock.

Last Updated: 24 August 2021