Paying your Council rent and Council rent arrears

Pay your rent online now  or use one of the other ways that you can make  Payments to the council

Rent Review April 2021

From 5th April 2021 the amount of rent you pay will change, you will have been advised in writing how this will affect you. 

If you are claiming Universal Credit (UC) you will need to advise the DWP of this change via your Personal Journal.

Rent Arrears

Your rent is due weekly in advance as part of the terms of your tenancy agreement.  If you fail to engage to make arrangements to clear your rent arrears this could result in an application to the County Court for possession of your home.

If you are evicted from your home for rent arrears it is likely that this would make you intentionally homeless.

There is still time to prevent any such action.  You should contact the Housing Income Team immediately on 01908 252937 selecting option 1 to discuss your arrears.

If you are having difficulties paying, what can you do?

We are always happy to advise you, even if you don't have a problem at the moment. If you can see a problem coming, don't wait until it arrives - talk to us as soon as possible. It's always easier to sort things out when arrears are small, and even when arrears are high we will still try to help.

  • Contact the Housing Income Service this is an opportunity for us to work with you. The  Income Officer will look at your income and expenditure with you and review if you are getting the benefits you are entitled too. They may also be able to offer information on reducing outgoings. 
  • Paying something is always better than nothing at all - pay what you can and contact us as soon as possible.
  • A dedicated Welfare Benefits advice service is available via the Income Service to work with you to review your finances and maximise your income.

Last Updated: 18 May 2021