Duty to Refer
From 1 October 2018 the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 introduced a duty on specified public authorities to identify and refer service users who they think may be homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authority homelessness/housing options teams.
The specified public authorities subject to the Duty to Refer are:
- Young offender institutions
- Secure training centres
- Secure colleges
- Youth offending teams
- Probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces
- Jobcentre Plus
- Social service authorities
- Emergency departments
- Urgent treatment centres
- Hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
Please Note: If you work for a public authority which is not subject to the duty you can still make a referral.
To make a referral please use Public Bodies Homelessness Referral Form
The form is based on the minimum information required by law for a public authority to make a legitimate referral; this is individuals names, contact details and agreed reason for referral.
GOV.UK information about the Duty to Refer
The GOV.UK website contains detailed information and guidance:
Last Updated: 21 July 2021