Housing for 18-35 year olds

If you are a single person or couple in this age group, you will normally only be offered self contained social housing where you have a need that cannot be met by renting a room in shared accommodation. This would include evidenced regular overnight access to children, exceptional risk factors and need related to a disability or chronic health issue.

If you are looking for a property to rent, renting from a private landlord could be quicker and offer more choice. The best places to start looking for somewhere to live are:

How to rent (including the checklist for renting)

10 rights for private tenants a factsheet for people renting privately

Housing Benefit: Under 35s Most single people under the age of 35 who rent from a private landlord will only get housing benefit to pay for a single room in a share house. This fac sheet will give you more details. 

How to rent a home is a useful guide from the housing charity Shelter on private rental.

Last Updated: 30 November 2017