Leaving the armed forces

Leaving the armed forces normally means leaving service accommodation and finding somewhere new to live. 

There are various schemes and information sources to help you find the solution that is right for you:

If you are struggling to find a housing solution or have other support needs, there are organisations who can offer specialist help:

  • SSAFA is a charity that does whatever it takes to get things done. They provide practical support and assistance to servicemen and women, veterans, and the families of both, every single day of the year. If you are having to leave your army accommodation SSAFA have a dedicated Housing Advisor who offers impartial guidance around these issues. Get in touch with an advisor if you are concerned about anything to do with housing, including Housing Law and homelessness.
  • Royal British Legion provide financial, social and emotional care and support to all members of the British Armed Forces - past and present and their families. The Legion is also the national Custodian of Remembrance and safeguards the Military Covenant between the nation and its Armed Forces and is best known for the annual Poppy Appeal and its emblem the red poppy.

If you cannot find a housing solution yourself and you contact us, we will not require you to have a local connection. We may be able to assist with advice and housing, depending on your circumstances.

Last Updated: 22 November 2018