Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licensing

If you rent out a property that is a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority. You will also need to apply for planning permission to change the usage of the property to a HMO.

Licence terms and conditions

The HMO licence will specify the maximum number of people permitted to occupy the HMO and if necessary the number of people permitted to occupy each room within the HMO.

The HMO licence will be valid for up to five years.

There are mandatory licensing conditions that must be complied with, these could include: 

  • Provision of an annual gas safety certificate;
  • Ensuring all electrical appliances and furniture are kept in a safe condition;
  • Ensuring smoke alarms are installed and kept in proper working order;
  • Ensure a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in any room containing a solid fuel burning combustion appliance and keep the alarm in proper working order;
  • Provision of a tenancy agreement to each occupier.

Discretionary conditions may also be applied. 

  • Restrictions or prohibitions on the use or occupation of parts of the HMO;
  • Requirement to deal with any anti-social behaviour by person(s) occupying or visiting the HMO;
  • Requirement to comply with the HMO management regulations
  • Provision of additional facilities
  • Requirements to ensure the fixed electrical installations, electrical appliances and fire detection systems are in working order and the relevant certificates are provided


Last Updated: 4 May 2022