Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licensing

If you rent out a property that is a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority. You will also need to apply for planning permission to change the usage of the property to a HMO.

Licensed HMO Public Register


All HMOs that are licensed must be added to the HMO Licensed Public Register, the current version is

The type of details included on the register are the start date and length of the licence, name and address of the licence holder, name and address of the any managing agent and information about the HMO such as the maximum number of tenants allowed to occupy the HMO, the number of rooms and other facilities etc.

Last Updated: 4 May 2022