Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licensing

If you rent out a property that is a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority. You will also need to apply for planning permission to change the usage of the property to a HMO.

Planning Requirements for HMOs


Milton Keynes has introduced an Article 4 Directions which means that planning permission is required when converting a dwelling house (C3), or non-residential property, to  an HMO use class (C4) or Sui Generis.  When making your planning application ensure you refer to the HMO supplementary planning document for guidance or for further information please contact the Planning Team on 01908 691691 or send an email.

Last Updated: 4 May 2022