Private Sector Housing

The council's Private Sector Housing Team works with owners and landlords so that they provide warm, safe healthy homes for all.

The team covers all housing which is not owned by the council, including leasehold properties, privately rented accommodation, housing association properties and those which are owner occupied.

Milton Keynes Council has recently launched a new scheme for landlords with rental properties in Milton Keynes.  The Scheme will recognise professionalism and good quality housing on offer to private tenants.

For more information on how to join the Homes in Partnership.


Landlord Accreditation Scheme

If you are an owner occupier or a tenant renting from a private landlord or housing association and your home is in a poor state of repair or needs work to improve the warmth, safety and security of your home, please contact the Private Sector Housing Team to see if we can help.

Our staff can give you advice and let you know what options are available to you.  In some cases we may refer you to another council service, external partner or agency.

Learn more about the Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy 2011 (PDF, 81KB).

Private Sector Housing Officers

They can ask landlords to make homes safe and deal with problems and disrepair.  The team can take action to deal with fire safety, overcrowding, disrepair and inadequate cooking, washing or toilet facilities.  Officers use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System to assess hazards which may affect the safety within the property.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's)

These are generally shared houses that are occupied by tenants who are not related.  The legal definition is complicated, so please contact our team for further advice and details. The team also deals with the mandatory licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation.  All HMO's which are 3 or more storeys with 5 or more occupants require a licence HMO Licensing

Empty Properties

The private sector housing officers support owners to bring their empty properties back into use.  Don't forget an empty home is a wasted source of income.

If a property remains empty because you can not afford essential repairs or improvements to make it habitable, you may be able to get financial assistance from the council in the form of a loan.

Financial Assistance for Home Repairs and Improvements

If you are a home owner aged 60 years or over, and can not afford essential repairs or improvements to your home you may be able to get financial assistance from the council in the form of a Flexible Home Improvement Loan.  Examples of the type of work that may be eligible include essential repairs and maintenance to the structure, replacement doors and windows, boiler replacement and improvements to insulation. For more information contact Private Sector Housing on 01908 252664 or email us

More information

If you wish to find out more details on any of the above, contact the Private Sector Housing Team.

Tenant/Landlord Relations Advice

You can get advice, mediation and if necessary legal action on harassment and illegal eviction, and tenancy disputes between private landlords and their tenants.

For more information, contact our Housing Options Advisor on 01908 253481.

If your issue relates to a repair in a private rented property please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01908 252664

Other Related Links

Last Updated: 1 April 2019