Secure Lets Scheme

Our Secure Lets scheme is available to new landlords and more experienced ones who do not want to advertise, find, interview and sign up tenants themselves

Secure Lets Registration form

What is Secure Lets?

Under the Secure Lets scheme, Milton Keynes Council becomes your tenant and signs a lease for a fixed term. Once the lease is signed the Council sub-lets the property. The benefits include:

  • Guaranteed rent each month, even during void periods
  • Day-to-day repairs undertaken at no additional cost
  • No administration or service fees
  • Payment of utility and council tax bills for duration of lease
  • No obligation to provide white goods as we prefer unfurnished properties.

Suitable properties

We ask for properties to be unfurnished and in a clean and safe condition. Safety includes such things as window restrictors in upper rooms, doorstops, fire blankets, carbon monoxide alarms and working smoke detectors. For guidance please see  GOV.UK guidance on property standards. We will arrange a visit to discuss with you any work that is needed prior to sign-up.

Rent payments

We give you rent paid a month in advance, even during void periods, straight from us at Milton Keynes Council. These payments will stay exactly the same each month throughout the letting period. Payment amounts are based on the number of bedrooms, regardless if the property is a flat or a house. Bedrooms must meet minimum sizes, defined in the Housing Health & Safety Rating Regulations.

Property Inspections

We will keep in regular contact with our tenant to ensure that their tenancy is sustainable. We do a one-month inspection at the property at the beginning of your tenancy with us and then every 3 months. Tenants aren’t allowed to have pets or smoke in the property or make any changes to the interior. 

If there is reason for you to inspect or visit the property, all we ask is that you give us 48 hours’ notice so we can let our tenant know.


We will deal with any minor, day-to-day repairs at no additional cost to you.  If there is any damage to the property we will make sure the cost of the repairs is resolved between ourselves and the tenant. If major repairs are needed we will let you know as soon as possible but these will normally be your responsibility to repair.

Landlords responsibilities during the lease

  • Maintaining buildings insurance during your time with us.
  • In blocks of flats, any service charges will be your responsibility
  • If an electrical installation condition report needs to be redone, you will need to arrange this.
  • If there is a gas supply to your property, it is your duty to ensure that an annual gas safety check is done. We can arrange for our contractor to carry out these checks. If you have your own Registered Gas Safe contractor, you will need to let us know in advance when the  check is being done so that we can let our tenant know.
  • You will need to make sure you have both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your property as per The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015. There should be a smoke alarm on every floor of your property. Carbon Monoxide detectors should be put in high-risk rooms, such as where gas cookers and hobs, wood burning stoves and open gas fires are located

Sign-up process

Landlords will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of Ownership. This can be a Land Registry certificate, a solicitor’s letter confirming purchase of the property, or a current mortgage statement. If the property is being managed by a third party, a letter of authority will be needed from the owner telling us who is representing them.
  • Confirmation of Agreement to let from Mortgage Lender. This must be on letter headed paper or can be a document that is signed and stamped from your mortgage provider.
  • Confirmation of Agreement to let from Freeholder. If you own your property on a long lease, you may need the agreement of the Freeholder in order to let your property.  This must be on letter headed paper or other official document
  • Gas Safety Certificate with any defects remedied. If your property has gas appliances, compliance with the gas safety regulations is essential and a registered Gas Safe operative must issue a safety certificate annually. For more information, visit the Gas Safe website.
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report, with grade 1 & 2 defects remedied and agreement to rectify any other defects that are discovered during the inspection, carried out by competent operative, (an ECA or NICEIC qualified electrician) at regular intervals. For more information visit Landlords - your electrical safety obligations
  • Energy Performance Certificate. All properties must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) from a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor.
  • Landlord’s Building Insurance. You’ll need to give us a copy of the policy, a summary of the risks covered by the policy and please tell us of any requirements of the insurers

Ending a secure let

If you want to end the arrangement there is a two month 'get-out' clause in the lease. We will need your notice in writing. We will make sure your property is returned back to you in the same condition you gave it to us in, however we‘ll need to take into consideration fair wear and tear

Last Updated: 7 April 2020