Former Tenant Arrears

If you are no longer a council tenant and have left our property owing us rent, you still need to pay this

What are former tenant arrears?

If you are no longer a council tenant and have left our property owing money on your rent account these are known as former tenant arrears.

How can I make sure I have no arrears when I leave

When you leave the property you must give the Council four weeks notice. If you leave before this time you will be charged rent for the whole four weeks.

If you are ending a garage tenancy only one weeks notice is necessary.

If you claim housing benefit you need to tell them the date when you are leaving the property.

Please make sure you hand your keys in before midday on the Monday. If they are not received you may be charged another weeks rent.

If I have arrears on my account already how can I arrange to pay them when I leave?

Is is always best to leave your property with no rent arrears however if you have arrears you can make an arrangement to pay these by contacting the Former Tenant Arrears Team.

Can I still use my swipe card to make payments?

Yes, there are various payment methods you can use for paying your arrears.

What would happen if I didn't pay the arrears left on my account?

We will contact you and give you the opportunity to make an arrangement to clear the arrears on your account.

If you do not pay these arrears we may pass your details to a Debt Collection Agency, go to court to obtain the money or get an attachment of earnings if you are working.

If you still fail to pay it may result in Baillifs coming to your property.

Former Tenant Arrears can affect your credit rating if you do not pay them.

You may also have problems if you apply for housing in the future.

What happens if a family member dies and I need to settle their account.

You will need to notify the Council as soon as possible as rent will be charged until the keys are returned to the local office.

Housing Benefit will stop once a tenant dies. It will end on the Sunday following the tenant's death.

Last Updated: 29 November 2018