Who can we help with Housing?

Milton Keynes Council do not operate a waiting list for housing. Housing will be offered to those in urgent housing need. Currently Milton Keynes has a severe shortage of social housing.  For most people the only solution will be the private rented sector. So you should continue to look for your own solutions whilst you are waiting.

Social housing will not automatically be available. Advice will be offered regarding all types of alternative accommodation.


Online Homeless Prevention Tool


Complete our Homeless Prevention Tool to find out if your current housing situation makes you eligible for accommodation. This is not an application for housing and you will not be contacted by the service as a result of completion. If the outcome of the form suggests that we would be able to help you with your current housing situation you will be invited to either contact the council on 01908 253481 or visit the Council Offices and speak with a Housing Options Officer.

If you only require information continue to read this page we have provided useful information to meet a variety of situations:

General Housing Information and Advice

If you want to move, or need to move, it is important to plan properly.  Think carefully before giving up your home and make sure that anywhere you plan to move to is suitable and affordable for you.  You should not wait until a crisis to ask for advice.  If you think you are at risk of losing your home, we will be able to advise you of your legal rights and may be able to help you look at ways in which you can safely stay in your home. 

  • Shelter can offer advice, information and advocacy for people in housing need as well information to prevent homeless. 
  • Citizens Advice Bureau offer free, independent, confidential and impartial advice on rights and responsibilities. 
  • GOV.UK offer information regarding your legal obligations and rights when renting, buying or owning a home, plus information about what to do if you are homeless and where to get help if you have a housing dispute.
  • The National Homeless Advice Service aims to prevent homelessness and and give accurate and timely advice.
  • Social tenants (in council or housing association properties) who want exchange their home can register on HomeSwapper.

If you are worried you may lose your home, Milton Keynes Council provides free advice and assistance to those who are threatened with homelessness or are homeless now.

Homeless Prevention

Our aim is to help you to help yourself find housing and prevent homelessness. We can do this by offering you advice on a range of subjects linked to your situation.

We seek to:

  • Support you to find solutions to your own housing situation.
  • Assist you to resolve your housing situation by discussing a range of housing options. 
  • Give free, impartial and confidential advice to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.
  • Try to assist you to stay within your own home or find suitable alternative accommodation.
  • Carry out our legal duties under the Homelessness and Housing Acts.

Our service can give you information and signpost you to other relevant services.

Finding a private rental

Domestic abuse/ violence, Forced marriage & Harassment 

Housing advice for 16-17 year olds

Housing for 18 - 35 year olds

Finding accommodation as a rough sleeper

Leaving the Armed Forces

Disrepair in private rented accommodation

Sheltered Housing

Downsizing opportunities for council tenants

Housing adapted for people with disabilities

Illegal eviction and harassment

Having problems with your mortgage

Keyworkers, Shared Ownership accommodation and Low cost home ownership

Supported Accommodation

Help with housing costs

Relationship breakdown

My current home is overcrowded

People with an offending history

Mental illness or impairment

Care Leavers


Domestic abuse and domestic violence

You may be living in an abusive relationship if you are experiencing controlling, bullying and / or violent behaviour. The behaviour can be from your partner, ex-partner or close family member. 

If you need emergency temporary accommodation then contact MKACt (details below) or the Housing Options Team on 01908 253481. Outside normal office hours call 01908 692882.

In an emergency you should always ring the police on 999

  • National Domestic Violence Helpline  or call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 (24hr). If you’re a woman experiencing domestic abuse you can talk confidentially to someone about your situation and to find out what your options are.
  • If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse you can contact the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.
  • If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call the National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline on 0800 999 5428.

Call the police on 101 (if it is not an emergency) or 999 in an emergency, if your personal safety is threatened.

Help to stay in your home

If you feel that you want to stay in your home, you can get legal advice about obtaining an injunction. An injunction is a court order that either:

  • protects you or your child from being harmed or threatened by the person who’s abused you (this is called a ‘non-molestation order’), or
  • decides who can live in the family home or enter the surrounding area - this is called an ‘occupation order’.

You could obtain an occupation order even if you do not own any interest in the property you have been living in, or you are not a tenant.

If your income is low, you could get ‘legal aid’ to help with the legal costs. The National Centre for Domestic Violence provide a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation. You can call 0800 970 2070 or txt NCDV to 60777.

Moving to a safe place

Make sure you plan your departure safely. Call the Freephone 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run by Refuge and Women’s Aid on 0808 2000 247, they can help you talk through your options. The helpline acts as the gateway to all services across the country and helps women find a space in a refuge.

If don’t have any friends or relatives or other accommodation that you can stay in safely, there are specialist refuges all over the UK. Refuges are not just emergency accommodation – you will be supported to rebuild your life.

If you have decided to leave home, take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone. Do not make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have obtained advice about your rights from a solicitor, the Council’s Housing Advice Service, Citizen’s Advice Bureau or other advice agency.

For further guidance refer to Domestic Abuse Code of guidance chapter 21.

MK-Act Crisis Intervention or call MKAct on 0344 375 4307 (calls charged at local rate) Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm. MK Act is a registered charity in Milton Keynes which works with families to help them move on from fear and abuse. They have safe emergency accommodation in Milton Keynes for anyone escaping domestic violence. 

Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence

A forced marriage is where one or both people do not (or in cases of people with learning or physical disabilities, cannot) consent to the marriage and pressure or abuse is used.

If you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you’ve been forced into, then you can contact the Home Office Forced Marriage Unit on 020 7008 0151.

Support is also available from KarmaNirvana  or call 0800 5999 247. This is a registered charity that helps victims of forced marriages and honour based abuse.


Harassment can be defined as someone deliberately inflicting fear, violence or aggression on another person or group because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or disability. 

If you are experiencing harassment you should:

  • contact the police on 101 and get a crime log number
  • contact the council on 01908 252937 giving full details of harassment  

Back to top

Housing advice for 16-17 year olds

If you are aged 16-17 years old, the best place for you to be living is with your parents or extended family or friends, and as long as it is safe to do so, our priority will be to get you home again. 

You will be assessed by the Young Peoples Team so we can fully understand your needs. the Young Peoples Team consists of a Social Worker and a Housing Options Officer. The Young People’s Team will see you on the day of referral if you have nowhere to stay that night, alternatively, an appointment will be made to meet with you at an agreed time and location.

  • Contact Multi Agency Referral and Assessment Hub (MASH) Mon-Fri 01908 253169 or 253170
  • Emergency Social Work Team 01908 265545
  • Housing Options 01908 253481

Back to top

Disrepair in private rented accommodation

The council's Private Sector Housing Team works with owners and landlords so that they provide warm, safe healthy homes for all.

For more information see our Private Sector Housing pages or call 01908 252664 to speak to someone in our Private Sector Housing Team.

Downsizing opportunities for council tenants

If you are living in a Milton Keynes Council property which is too big for you, we may be able to help you find a smaller property more suited to your needs.

We know what an upheaval moving can be but we may be able to help make that easier with financial and practical help, so please contact the Moving Home Team to see how we can help you. 

Back to top

Housing adapted for people with disabilities

When adapted properties become available, priority is given to people who need those adaptations. In order to be considered for an adapted property you will require an occupational therapy assessment.

On occasions it may be possible that Equipment and adaptationscan help you remain in your own home, promoting a stable home environment and maintaining local connections.

If you are assessed as needing an adapted property, allocation will take a long time as some types of adapted properties are in very short supply and rarely become empty.

Illegal eviction and harassment

If you are being evicted, it can be useful to know that as a tenant you have rights and there are laws to protect you from being evicted illegally and from being harassed by your landlord.

To evict you, your landlord must follow the steps set out in law as follows:

Back to top

Having problems with your mortgage

If you are getting into mortgage arrears it could be worrying and stressful. But you need to act fast to give yourself the best chance of keeping your home

 The most important thing is to contact your lender as soon as it looks like there’ll be a problem, and see if you can work out a solution. Speak to your lender and try to come to an agreement to clear the arrears. The Shelter website can you give advice on what to do.

Other useful websites are:


Some useful information:

Back to top

Supported Accommodation

Supported housing for adults with a learning disability, please see 

Adult Social Care Information and Directory of Services or contact the Access to Adult Health and Social Care Team ACCESS


Supported accommodation for over 25's

If you are over 25 with support needs, Orbit Supported Housing has two purpose built hostels within Milton Keynes which provide accommodation for single people over 25 with support needs.

  • Cambridge Street Hostel 01908 373665
  • Fishermead Hostel 01908 692609

The scheme helps single homeless adults, aged over 25 with support needs, to work towards independent living.

Supported accommodation for young mothers

Springfield House is a purpose built hostel in Milton Keynes for young mums aged between 16 and 24 years old.

Orbit Heart of England’s Springfield House has 15 self-contained flats with communal areas for social activities including a lounge, garden, art room, computer training room and laundry.  All flats have a bedroom, bathroom, lounge and kitchen, are part furnished and can be adapted for mothers or babies with disabilities.

Supported accommodation for those with mental health issues.

YMCA accommodation for 18 - 35 year olds

call the YMCA reception on 01908 295600, email our Housing Administrator at admin@mkymca.com or call in to the YMCA reception in person. 1 North Sixth Street, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2NR

Back to top

Help with housing costs

Benefits and council tax team website

Relationship breakdown

If you are going through a relationship breakdown, and you think you might lose your home, you should seek independent legal advice. You should also look at this Shelter housing rights leaflet for couples who are splitting up. Milton Keynes CAB can provide you more information and access to other services.

My current home is overcrowded

If you believe you are overcrowded there are various factors that would be considered in order to assess whether you meet the criteria to be considered for housing.  These are set out in Milton Keynes Council’s Housing Options and Allocations Scheme (PDF, 328KB) and the Housing Act 1985.

Back to top

People with an offending history

This information aims to provide advice to people who are seeking housing in Milton Keynes who have been, or are being released from prison (or youth detention accommodation). The information offers support and ideas for finding somewhere to live. We understand that a record of offending can make it harder for you to secure accommodation if you need it, and so you may need extra help.

Learn more about the help we can offer if you are homeless or becoming homeless.

Help with Private Renting

Many people struggle with raising a deposit for private rented accommodation. The Homelessness Prevention Team may be able to help you with the upfront cost i.e. deposit and rent in advance. 

Employment and Training

We know that your ability to find and keep somewhere to live will be affected, if you don’t have a job, or job prospects. The Council can refer you to Neighbourhood Employment Team, for targeted help with getting you job-ready. For further guidance refer to People with an Offending History - Code of guidance chapter 23.

Mental illness or impairment

Milton Keynes Council’s Homelessness Prevention Team will support you to and try to prevent you from becoming homeless. This will be achieved through partnership and multi-agency work.

Care Leavers

Milton Keynes council have specific duties towards care leavers who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. For further guidance refer to Care Leavers Code of guidance chapter 22.

The Care Leavers hub offers simplified information about the Leaving Care Act and the Options Service.



Last Updated: 18 December 2019