Public Path Orders

Walkers at edge of field

A landowner or member of the public can apply to the council for a Public Path Order (PPO) to create, extinguish or divert a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway. Any application to alter an existing public right of way must meet the strict tests set out in the relevant legislation. 

This procedure is open to consultation and therefore may take some time before completion. Fees are also associated with such applications. 

Milton Keynes council, as surveying authority, keeps a register of Public Paths Orders.

PPO Application Form (PDF, 91KB)

View the PPO Register


Please email completed forms to


Last Updated: 3 September 2021